ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 297 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
What is the minimum box volume required for a L5-30R receptacle? This is a 125V, 30A, single phase twist-lock receptacle. Is a 4" box required or is a 2" single gang box acceptable. Also are there any special mounting requirements due to the twisting action required. Can the box be tabbed directly to the drywall opening with no attachment to wall framing (for after the fact installation). Thanks in advance.

Christopher Banbury, PE
President
Ark Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603
22 N. Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601
Phone: (352) 754-2424
FAX: (352) 754-2412
www.arkengineering.net
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The manufacturer may have instructions but the NEC is silent on the mounting. Box fill is 2 conductors allowance, same as any device. That doesn't mean it will fit.
Common sense says use a box that has enough room and mount this securely. Twist lock implies there will be some extra strain on the cord and you won't simply pull out the plug cap. We used a lot of twist lock and usually put them in a 4" box with 4 screws per device.

Greg Fretwell
D
Can the box be tabbed directly to the drywall opening with no attachment to wall framing (for after the fact installation).

Depends, I learned here that if you are cutting into a firewall, the box must be attached to the framing of the wall.

I think Roger or Bob(iwire) have the link, it is not in the code book, but a building code if memory serves me right.

J
Iwould use a deep 1Gbox to allow the wires some room.

If you are worried about the twisting working the old work box loose after awhile look at using one of the new smart box style old works that screw to the side of the stud.

Arlington makes one, check www.aifittings.com or www.smartbox.com for another brand.

Link Copied to Clipboard