ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98495 12/20/04 11:29 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this cable?

Looking for all temperature ratings, and type of fires, etc?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Where is this cable in the 2005 Code? By the way I love the new page numbering system.

R
It's in just about all of the low voltage/limited energy articles, such as 725, 760, etc...

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
R
Ron Offline
It has been in the code at least one cycle already. I've specified it, and it seems to be ok. You can use CI cable for use with or without raceway, and CIC for use with raceway. The manufacturer that was low bid was http://www.vitalinkcable.com/
but there are others.

Ron
Thank you Ron, very helpful link!

I searched the 2002 NEC and found the following areas where Type CI is included, but did not look at the 2005 yet.. I think there may be more locations:

Fire Alarm Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable. Cable used in fire alarm systems to ensure continued operation of critical circuits during a specified time under fire conditions.

(F) Fire Alarm Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable. Cables suitable for use in fire alarm systems to ensure survivability of critical circuits during a specified time under fire conditions shall be listed as circuit integrity (CI) cable.

Cables identified in 760.31(C), (D), and (E) that meet the requirements for circuit integrity shall have the additional classification using the suffix “CI” (for example, NPLFP-CI, NPLFR-CI, and NPLF-CI).

FPN No. 2: One method of defining circuit integrity (CI) cable is by establishing a minimum 2-hour fire resistance rating for the cable when tested in accordance with UL 2196-1995, Standard for Tests of Fire Resistive Cables.

(G) Fire Alarm Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable. Cables suitable for use in fire alarm systems to ensure survivability of critical circuits during a specified time under fire conditions shall be listed as circuit integrity (CI) cable. Cables identified in 760.71(D), (E), and (F) that meet the requirements for circuit integrity shall have the additional classification using the suffix “CI” (for example, FPLP-CI, FPLR-CI, and FPL-CI).

Thank you Ron, that's a very helpful link!

deleted duplicate

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-22-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard