ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
My name is John Cahill and I am on the inspector sub committee for Standards in Texas. I am researching a topic.

"Should an inspector turn off power before removing a panel box cover?"

An electrician was recently killed in Dallas when removing a cover. This has caused concern in several areas:

- I and no one else wants to get killed doing this
- There is a workman's compensation concern regarding employees.
- A trade organization might be held liable if they advise inspectors to pull covers without turning off power.
- A state agency that regulates inspectors might be held liable if they advise inspectors to pull covers without turning off power.

A manufacturer I contacted recommended same. All panel labels I have seen say turn off power. I know it is CYA but then I now know of a person who was killed!

Thanks,

John Cahill

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Mr. Cahill:

As someone who works a lot with panels in cinemas, which frequently have to stay live during my work, I can understand the concerns. I've always preferred to work any panel dead, regardless of age, location, or even if I'm familiar with it by past experience. In my setting, there's usually a breaker or fused disconnect that can be opened and locked out. I do so whenever possible. If not, I ensure that I wear as a minimum gloves, long-sleeved cotton shirt, safety glasses and stand on a rubber mat. I also NEVER stand directly in front of any disconnect, breaker or fuseholder when operating same. I also look away during any switching or resetting operations. So far, I've only had damage to one pair of gloves when a 100amp 240v breaker exploded.

But in residential, many panels do not have main breakers or disconnects. So what's left? Pulling the meter? Not a good idea. I've had one explosion there too, when I worked for a local EC. The socket supports had broken down and failed as I pulled the meter. I was extremely lucky as I wasn't wearing the proper PPE that time. O.K., that leaves disconnecting the service drop. Not only do most POCO's frown upon anyone messing with the drop, that's a lot more dangerous than pulling a meter or removing a cover.
Working with that EC made me familiar with a wide range of panel brands, and I quickly learned the clearances to live parts in each brand. Some residential panels have less than 1/4" clearance to the load lugs when removing/replacing the deadfront. Others have adequate clearance, but if not careful it was possible to miss the mounting stops and contact live parts.

I apologise to everyone for the length of this post, but the topic raises a lot of questions. My humble advice to all would be:

Familiarize yourself with as many types and brands of panels, switchgear, etc. If possible, study the construction with the power off and try to visualize any failure modes or clearance issues.

Invest in and wear the proper protective gear if panel removal is one of your duties. At the minimum for residential, gloves, safety glasses and non-synthetic clothing with long sleeves. Anything over 240v or commercial of ANY voltage, add a flash jacket!

If power-down is not an option, NEVER WORK ALONE!(I refuse to do any live work without an observer.) Have someone who can at least call for help if needed standing by AT A SAFE DISTANCE! And they MUST NOT be looking directly at the equipment at any time, an arc or flashover can cause eye damage even at a distance.

The age and external appearance of the equipment involved can give you an idea of how safe/not safe removing panels can be. Of course, some brand-new gear can fail or be dangerous too. But if it looks well maintained, there's a fair chance that it's a lot safer to work on that something that looks hacked/corroded/beaten.

Thanks for letting me throw in my 2cents here.

Tony

Stupid should be painful.
John:
'Power down' is not an available option most times around here (NJ). As to PPE, perhaps someday the municipalities may jump on that bandwagon. It may take someone getting injured, or worse; or one of the numerous lawyers to jump in.

I've been opening live panels for about 30 yrs; seen my share of messes, and I guess luck is shining my way. As to pulling the meter.....NO; cutting the drop?? we don't have a ladder!

John

John
P
pip Offline
This inspecter in dallas really surprises me
because I have worked in Dallas my intire life and have yet to see an inspector with a screw driver! However, the way this problem is solved in most cities is to either have the power off and the panel cover removed when the inspector arrives on site or if the power must remain on then a licensed electrician must be on ite to remove the cover. As an inspector I would never touch ANYTHING live. Just put a red tag on it and come back tomorrow.

S
I have a few thoughts on this.
1. Your actions on the job should be spelled out by your employer. That is: "Is it required or are you directed by your employer to remove covers from energized equipment?"
2. Your employer is required to train you in the safe performance of your job. If you are not trained to do this safely and you are required to do it, then you should be contacting your union or association rep or OSHA. Assuming of course you get no relief from your supervisor.
3. Exposing energized and uninsulated electrical components is not to be taken lightly. Whether you have 20 years or 20 months experience, you are still in the presence of a deadly force.
4. OSHA rules require lock out tag out before working on de-energized electrical.
5. So unless somehow trained, an inspector should not be removing covers period.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA

Link Copied to Clipboard