ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 191 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#83009 01/01/03 07:15 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
hi all.

i've a question here , sort of a reoccuring one at that, any input appreciated.

A retiree or other such amature woodcrafter sets up shop in a detached garage.
The plan includes lathes, planners, drill presses, and all manner of woodworking machinery.

The load/feeder/panel are sized properly
(and then some for growth & VD) , yet the total places the incomming service as being inadeqaute per the demand load.

The obvious here is that the retiree/amature will only assume ONE machine @ a time, with little real impact.....

What would be your approach to this?

~curious...
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83010 01/01/03 07:27 PM
R
Steve, I can only speak for my basement woodworking shop. With the exception of running a shop vac, or for those who own one, a true dust collection system, I never have more than one tool running at once. Of couse I work alone.

Roger

#83011 01/01/03 07:42 PM
S
How many amps is our feeder to the garage? Are you mainly working alone?

#83012 01/01/03 09:08 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
the scenario is repetitive, yet academic.

would 220.21 apply here?

the 'retiree' could move out, and a commune of futon builders take up residence .... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-01-2003).]

#83013 01/05/03 06:49 AM
Broom Pusher and
Steve,

For this scenario, there are definitely two approaches!

First one is the "Per Structured Engineering" way of looking at it. By design default, the load calcs designate a service ampacity size, which would need to be met - so as far as "The Blind Lady Of EE" (like the blind justice lady), the service would require upgrading.

Second approach is the "Real Life" aspect!
Since there is only one person working on stuff, chances are two or more heavy load machines will not be driving out at near rated horsepower all the time. Even if this occured, it would not be an extended time, nor be done over and over. If this could become reality, then the scenario changes and the real world / real life aspect will indeed point towards service upgrade.

So, if this client wishes not to spend money on service upgrade and understands all that is regarding the complete scenario, it's simply a matter of annoyance if or when the main breaker trips.
As long as the scenario does not result in barbequed bus bars or Fried Insulation / Breakers AND this does not end up bringing down the Utility owned Power Transformer, this is a design issue - and (should be) compliant to minimal NEC reqirements.

This is stepping more into the Design / Engineering areas than code compliance - with the exception of the possibility of any INCREASE OF FLOOR SPACE (like a room addition or any new out buildings, which increase the basic requirements of a service).

Being a Residential situation, this makes things a bit different as to machinery. It's for only one person to use as a "Hobbiest", and the amount of time things are used fluctuates around when the neighbors are sleeping and when the Lunch + Dinner bells ring [Linked Image]

Now as to the future Commune of Futon Builders becoming the leasee or new owner of this location, this has no bearing towards the current "Client / Tenant's" requirements, nor do you need to design to reflect this.
When said cult of personnel occupy this location, the systems should be compliant (as per safety issues) prior to change of ownership. It is up to the new owner(s) to have the Electrical systems Engineered to meet their requirements.

In a typical "Shell" building, service size would be ample to "most tenants". Basic "per square feet" items are included, plus growth factors. Tenants with specific requirements (as to what they need for service size) require designs that include increased capacity - hence the difference between "A simple Electrical Systems Design" and "An Electrical Engineered System" becomes clear.

This message most likely is as clear as mud, so feel free to question away!!!

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#83014 01/05/03 08:12 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
Actually quite clear Scott, thank you.

I have pursued option #2 a number of times,reading the customer thier 'electrical rights' as it were.
A notable amount of 'flicker factor' was explained also.

Being rural, the last such customer had an older direct burial 150A service, over 400' to the nearest pole. I say older in that DB is no longer in vogue here, so any update would be pvc.

Then there was another 200' to the shop/outbuilding.

This the poses a cost-benifit desicion to the customer, of considerable $$$ per upgrade...quite repetitive here.......

[Linked Image]
yrs
~Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard