ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Z
ZR600 Offline OP
I was just reading the bible (code book of course), and now I am confused. I have always used the meathods in 250.30 for hooking up the grounding electrode to the derived neutral. 250.30(a)(3) states "the grounding electrode shall be the nearest one of the following, grounded metal structure, grounded metal water pipe within 5' of entrance, or other electrodes. I have always used the grounded metal structure as it has always for me been the closest. So I have never gone to the water pipe. Now I read 250.104(a)(4), it states that the grounded conductor of the seperatly derived system shall be bonded to the nearest available point of the interior metal water piping system. I have never seen anyone else do this either? Have I and all the installations I have seen been missing this? Thanks............Brian

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
ZR,

What about the exception to 250.104(A)(4)?

T
Most service neutrals are bonded to the water line as well as the building steel,so technically your neutral is bonded to the water line,because the water line is bonded to the steel at the main service.

Donnie
R
The reason for bonding the local water pipe to the SDS is to make sure that the local metal piping could not become energized by a ground fault. There is the possibility that the local water piping is isolated from the main service bonding jumper by some type of nonmetallic pipe or fitting. The code requires the local bond at the SDS and does not permit you to rely on the main bonding at the building service.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Z
ZR600 Offline OP
Redsy, I don't see and exception to 250.104(a)(4) in the 99 code book?...........Brian

R
250.104(A)(4) Exception
Exception: A separate water piping bonding jumper shall not be required where the effectively grounded metal frame of a building or structure is used as the grounding electrode for a separately derived system and is bonded to the metallic water piping in the area served by the separately derived system.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Z
ZR600 Offline OP
resqcapt19, Where did you find that exception? It is not in my 99 code book?

R
That is in the 2002 code book. If you use the "." in place of the "-" to separate the article number form the section number most here will assume that you are using the 2002 code. The "-" was used in all of the codes prior to 2002.

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard