ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#81571 08/30/02 09:44 AM
H
There is going to be a new well house built in my area. This well house doesn't pump water but it pumps raw sewage. The wet well is about 27 feet dep and there is 2 sumpmersible pumps in there. There is a ladder going down into the pump area so people can maintain these pumps. The question becomes, Is there a code that says there has to be a light fixture inside the wet well? There are 2 large "bilko" steel doors over top of this well pit. The people who are building it say that lights aren't required because you would not go down inside the pit at night. Any work done inside would be done during the day. Anybody see any code sections that would require these lights? One reason they don't want to put lights inside of pit is because they would have to be explosion type lights.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81572 08/30/02 10:51 AM
Harold

Check Article 110 for the rule that covers Illumination, or use 110.3(A)(8).

NFPA 820 covers the types of locations you described.

Bottom line, the llumination is necessary for safety.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-30-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#81573 08/30/02 04:58 PM
H
Joe,

In my state (NJ) I do have the right to quote sec. 820 of the NFPA. I have used this before because the town didn't want ventilation or gas detectors in a wet well. I quoted from the section of NFPA 820 citing where it is required. I kep thinking of the people who have to maintain these buildings. Just imagine the area filled with methane gas, the guy goes to open the door to see why a pump has failed, turns on the switch and POW! He will be blown over to the next county. I will review NFPA 820 this weekend on line and see what I can find. Thanks a lot. Have a great weekend.

Caper

#81574 08/30/02 11:31 PM
G
Harold, (and Joe)
We have the right to quote ANY NFPA, ANSI, ACI, etc. standard by Va USBC. Wouldn't NFPA 70E cover this situation as well? I do not have mine at home naturally, but I do believe it has a section on illumimation.

But another source would be OSHA 1926 I think, maybe 1910 also.

#81575 08/31/02 12:47 PM
H
George,

In NJ the state tells me under the Uniform Construction Code, (UCC) what sections of the NFPA I can quote. I can't qouate the whole code book, however I can quote certain section. Section 820 of the NFPA is one of the sections that I do enforce. I was just wondering if there was a code section ( chapter and verse) In the NEC or NFPA that says, lights ARE required in a wet well. I can just hear th moaning now from the engineers and electricians that "Do you know how much explosion proof fixtures are?" They are going to try and talk their way out of this requirment. So my boss is going to want a code section that states that "lights are required." and not just a section that says, Up to the AHJ.

Link Copied to Clipboard