ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
http://www.youwireit.org/sample.html#

I think that I see a violation, do you see it too?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
Hi Joe,

Not quite as clear as I'd like on my monitor, however...

It looks as though the lower wire is white and has not be re-marked black to indentify it as a hot conductor.

D
Maybe it's just me, but I don't se a ground to the to the switch either.

C
Not clear on my monitor and vaguely worded.
Does anyone else see if the ground wire is attached to BOTH the box and ground screw on the switch?

D
Are you talking about the white wire?

The Most Common Mistakes Homeowners Make Doing their Own Wiring...
...as told by an electrician with Over 30 Years Experience
(8) Not using the proper replacement outlet is a problem. Always use a GFI receptacle when replacing a kitchen or bathroom receptacle. Also when replacing a garage and outdoor receptacle, use a GFI receptacle. It could save a life- maybe yours, or a loved one.

Wire Sizes, and How to Use Them
(6) The two common types of cable used around the home are type NM-B and Type UF. Type NM-B is used inside the home out of the weather in dry areas. Type UF is for use outdoors and underground direct burial cable. Both cables must be protected from damage by running along framing of the home or using conduit where the UF enters the earth and up to four feet where it can be damaged.

210.8(A) & 300.5(D)(1)I thought it was ok say replace with GFCI rec. in these areas, but what about the areas omitted? Where do they come up with the four feet to protect the wiring ?

[This message has been edited by DavidW (edited 04-28-2002).]

David
A
I see two violations. No grounding conductor which means the metal plate is not grounded (404.9(b)) and white wire is not identified as being other than grounded conductor.

S
yeeeeuup, an fer $39.99 youse can git's ya a tooool kit an' be a 'lectricky-an

[Linked Image from youwireit.org]
[Linked Image from darwinawards.com]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 04-28-2002).]

R
The title of the section on the other site is "switch replacement". The code requirement to reidentify the white wire in this application first appeared in the '99 code. If the installation was made under prior codes there was no requirement to reisdentify the white. I can't tell for sure if there is a ground wire in the box or not. There is no requirement that the EGC be connected directly to the switch, it is only required to be connected to the metal box. It also could be old enough that 2 wire no ground NM cable was used. The wording on the site makes it clear to reconnect the ground wire if there is one. If there is not an EGC, some additional wording should be added for compliance with the exception to 404.9(B). This would require the use of a nonmetallic face plate when replacing a switch at an outlet without an EGC.
Don(resqcapt19)

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 04-28-2002).]

Don(resqcapt19)
G
Is Joe asking about the picture(s) or is he implying something else ?

I rather question the legal part of subscribing.

Looks like most of us saw the same items.

We could beat this thread to death though, but the issue is still one that relates to "existing" versus "new" installations.

I would recommend that the most recent rules be considered, and re-identify the white wire as a hot leg, and use the equipment bonding jumper to the switch, where is is connected to the equipment grounding conductors in the box if any do exist.

That requirement is not new, and has been a requirement in the code for quite a few code cycles, it's the issue about the metal plate that is new.

What happens when something goes wrong with the advice given, and someone gets hurt or there is some property damage?

Sparky's tools are really funny and they seem to be just what the "unqualified person" would use.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard