ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#79798 01/25/02 08:18 PM
Is it allowable to bring the secondary GEC for a separately derived system (aka xfrmr) through the conduit with the primary feeder and terminate it at the service GEC?
(No problem with capacity, service GEC/Ufer is a 3/0)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Electure, 1999 code 250-30, and all others for the 30 years I've been around, the grounding electrode must be as near as practicable to the transformer. If there is NO way to bond it closer I can't off the top of my head find fault (no pun intended) with your method. If there is a way, you would be in violation not to use it, including a ground rod, etc.. I'd have to consider the capacitance of the method, I really don't like, at first blush, it being mixed in with phase conductors of the primary side, too danged much choke for fault purposes for my liking.

J
Depends on the type transformer and system you are referring to. You can ground the secondary of the transformer at the transformer and run an equipment ground with the conductors feeding the panel or use the neutral (if this is a grounded system) as ground to the panel and ground the panel as you would a service. Using the neutral generated at the transformer as the ground to the panel, is much more practicle.

Sorry (again) for a bad explanation.
45 KVA 480X120/240 Delta. It's about 6' from the service. Seems almost silly to run a separate conduit??

N
Scott,
I posed this question a couple of weeks ago to the chief electrical inspector for the City of Los Angeles in a grounding class he taught at our shop.

He had a drawing of a typical panel (480/277) feeding a transformer feeding a panel. (120/208). I asked if the 480/277V panel in the diagram was the service equipment, would it be acceptable to run the grounding electrode conductor through the primary conduit with the primary feed to the building grounding electrode system.
Answer: Yes
However, now the primary conduit must meet the same bonding requirements as a GEC in it’s own metal conduit.

You could accomplish that pretty cheap by punching your KO’s and using bonding lock nuts. [Linked Image]

PS: I got the colored MC from Alflex. Now I have every color combonation under the sun. What an invintory nightmare! [Linked Image] It will make for a nice instal when we are done though.

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 01-25-2002).]

N
PS again: That would also mean no flex connection on the primary.

G
I think it is poor practice, but not a violation if installed per 1999 NEC 250-64(e).

Remember, that the bonding bushing (on any type of KO, one hole or concentric ) must be connected to the GEC and not just the enlosurer(s) (boxes).

E
If the specs allow you to NOT install flex between the panels and the transformer, and if the transformer is not to big and noisy, then I think that would be a really cool way to go, with bond bushings at each end of the conduit nipples, and lay-in lugs in the transformer case for the GEC. Remember, the code allows you to connect your derived panel's GEC right to the ground bus of the service panel [250(a)(3)(c)exc.].

T
I install a lot of 200 amp 480 volt service for pump stations, with a 5 kva lighting transformer. These do not have structural steel so the nearest avavilable electrode is the building GE system. I'll run from the lighting panel through the raceway and then outside to the ground rods. Ii its a metal enclosure or raceway I bond at both ends, this makes a lot of work and is a good time and materials job.

If possible I'll run straigt outside and use PVC conduit to sleeve it. Sometimes I'll go out through the service disconenct (primary, if you will).

For connections to the lighting transformer, Ilve started using liquid tight non-metallic flex. Then I don't have to bond the flex.

Link Copied to Clipboard