ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#78400 09/19/01 08:19 PM
N
Nick Offline OP
When running the grounding electrode conductor to a transformer a really clean way to terminate is to run through the grounding lug that's mounted to the can unspliced on it's way to XO. From the lug to the XO it doubles as the main bonding jumper. I realize that in a lot of cases you could end up with a undersized MBJ especially larger transformers but it works well on the smaller ones. My question is does this violate the listing of the lug it passes completely through? (The one mounted to the case) I have noticed that the conductor tends to loosen easily when applying this method. (for this reason I don't really like it) Using a quad lug on the case and running a separate MBJ is probably a better way. Any thoughts?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#78401 09/19/01 08:40 PM
S
I have 'run-thru' GEC's using siemens LK-2's on strips, no problem whatsoever.

#78402 09/20/01 08:29 AM
The problem I've had with this has stemmed from the head of the screw that fastens the lug to the enclosure protruding into the path of the conductor. I tried flat head screws, but had to chamfer the hole in the lug to accommodate the screw's bevel (then thought I was probably voiding said lug's listing...no help)

Any more, I just use a 2 conductor lug, and be done with it.

#78403 09/21/01 10:55 AM
T
Originally posted by Nick:
When running the grounding electrode conductor to a transformer a really clean way to terminate is to run through the grounding lug that's mounted to the can unspliced on it's way to XO. From the lug to the XO it doubles as the main bonding jumper. I realize that in a lot of cases you could end up with a undersized MBJ especially larger transformers but it works well on the smaller ones. My question is [b]does this violate the listing of the lug it passes completely through? (The one mounted to the case) I have noticed that the conductor tends to loosen easily when applying this method. (for this reason I don't really like it) Using a quad lug on the case and running a separate MBJ is probably a better way. Any thoughts?[/B]

Just substitute a listed lay in lug. These are open on one side to permit the insertion of the conductor without needing to feed it through. They have a forked opening in the end opposite the mounting hole.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#78404 09/24/01 09:41 PM
That's a great solve!

#78405 10/18/01 07:07 PM
G
Dont forget to take a wire brush and scrape that paint off under and around the lug first !!

Link Copied to Clipboard