ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#186135 04/21/09 10:22 AM
J
During plan review on a recent project, the inspection department required a switch be installed at each door capable of being used as an entry point to the building. Reference was made to sec. 1006 in the Building Code having to do with egress illumination. I can see that having a switch at every entrnce is good desing practice, but how is it that this portion of the Building Code requires a switch? Are there other portions of the Building Code that address this question?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
I amnot aware of any such requiewmwnt ... that is, that a person entering a building (or room)be able to turn on a light as they enter.
Logical? Sure. Common sense? No doubt. Good design? Absolutely. Code requirement? No way.

Now, residences do require an EXTERIOR light, controlled at the door. I suppose you could infer that some of this light would spill into the building, making your entry easier ... but that just a supposition.

I can think of many, many commercial buildings, and public areas, wher a deliberate effort was made to NOT have any accessible lighting controls.

Some of this is being indirectly sffected by the sundry 'energy' codes, which are calling for a variety of motion sensors and timers. Ironically enough, even these codes continue the presumption that your typical person isn't competent to operate a light switch.

G
Originally Posted by renosteinke

Some of this is being indirectly affected by the sundry 'energy' codes, which are calling for a variety of motion sensors and timers. Ironically enough, even these codes continue the presumption that your typical person isn't competent to operate a light switch.

I think the problem is the typical person has no problem turning on the switch, it is turning it off that they have a problem with wink

I have lost count of the number of motion detectors I have around here but it is over 20. The lights follow you wherever you go inside or out and turn off when you leave.

Greg Fretwell
G
Reno- Look at the electrical code again. I don't see where the switch has to be at the door. There are some words that talk about locating a switch in a customary location and now we have to agree on what is customary.

George Little
S
Originally Posted by IBC 2006
1006.1 Illumination required. The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Exceptions:
1. Occupancies in Group U.
2. Aisle accessways in Group A.
3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2
and R-3.
4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies.
R-1, R-2 and R-3 pretty much include all houses, duplexes, apartments, models and everything short of nursing homes. Good idea? Yes. Required by 1006? No.

M
Electrical switching devices having stationary and movable contacts are preferred.

sydney electrical rewiring

Steve:
The section you quote is regarding egress lighting, not general illumination.

Basically, it requires illumination be provided for the egress path to exit a structure, and it includes illumination thru the last exit door to 'the public way'. ie: emergency lighting at the exterior of exit doors, and the egress pathway to those points of exit.

John
Cat Servant
George, you are correct; the NEC is silent as to where the switch would be located.

Indeed, it's even possible to consider one light as illuminating multiple doorways.

Anybody read 210.70 in its entirety?

NO, the 'location' of the switch is not spelled out within the NEC, that is design, common sense, good trade practice, etc.; however a switch controlled lighting outlet is required.

The OP did not say resi or comm, but he mentioned a Building Code that deals with egress illumination. IF he is going comm (egress) then 1006 of the Bldg Code specs illumination.

John
I might use a main lighting fixture to light up many of the doorways.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard