ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 463 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#154139 05/18/04 01:25 PM
J
i need info on emergency lighting and exit signs when and where they are needed in parking garages, public and private. thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#154140 05/18/04 11:40 PM
G
You're not getting replies because setting an egress path is a very trick thing. It is usually handled by an FPE (Fire Protection Engineer) and they are usually very good at what they do.

The rules are in the BOCA code, and the IBC, but they pretty much reference NFPA 101. Exit lights - head 'em toward the danged exit usually within 75', but LOTSA variables on that.

Emergency egress path must be lit to a minimum of 1 fc at the FLOOR level. You can handle this with batteries, UPS system, or even a genset.

If you use a genset in place of batteries, it must have a 90 minute fuel supply ON SITE, (Natural gas can not normally fulfill this requirement and requires approval of the AHJ) AND be ON LINE within 10 seconds of power failure, that is from 700-12, but you will also find it in NFPA 101, and 110.

Asking a generic question like that leaves way too many variables. Also, you're fire marshall must approve this path, they can probably help you out to establish this if you are going to take on the responsibility yourself.

Link Copied to Clipboard