ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#153779 04/25/03 12:23 AM
My understanding is that an areas' Building Code is what specifies the Electrical requirements, whether it is compliance with some version of the NEC or something else.

My question is, what does your Building Code actually say about Electrical work? What is the language?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#153780 04/25/03 06:42 AM
E
Bill, I don't have my building code book handy but I beleive it states that all work is to be done in accordance with the Mass Electrical code. (Tne NEC with amendments) It also specifies some things like lighting locations, and switch locations.

#153781 04/25/03 08:04 AM
T
Bill,
Here's one from the city of Conroe,Texas. Electrical Section is Chapter 6. It starts with a short title,then the object and scope.( up to a $2000 a day fine for violations ).A couple of sections about the City Electrician.Finally gets to Art.II which covers licensing.Then Art.III covers the Installation Standards (99 NEC with local amendmentts )Art.IV covers permits and inspections http://livepublish.municode.com/22/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-j.htm&vid=10593

I have also found other city codes by doing a search on the LivePublish MuniCode website.

Donnie

Donnie
#153782 04/25/03 09:06 AM
E
In Minnesota, with the [b]Minnesota State Board of Electricity[/b] regulation starts at the state level with this Minnesota Statute . Note the link in the text to 16B.61 which leads one off into a warren of interlocking statute.

Al Hildenbrand
#153783 04/25/03 11:12 AM
tx,

Your link didn't show any codes.

Al,

I'm trying to understand how our own "newly found" NY Building Code is supposed to be understood. Let me see if I understand yours correctly.
All electrical wiring, apparatus and equipment for electric light, heat and power, technology circuits or systems shall comply with the rules of the department of commerce or the department of labor and industry, as applicable, and be installed in conformity with accepted standards of construction for safety to life and property. For the purposes of this chapter, the rules and safety standards stated at the time the work is done in the then most recently published edition of the National Electrical Code as adopted by the National Fire Protection Association, Inc. and approved by the American National Standards Institute, ...
This sounds to me like you automatically go to the latest NEC as soon as it's published. Is that what that means?
...provided further, that in the event a Minnesota Building Code is formulated pursuant to section 16B.61, containing approved methods of electrical construction for safety to life and property, compliance with said methods of electrical construction of said Minnesota Building Code shall also constitute compliance with this section,
This means that any Electrical related info in the Building Code is also acceptable?
... and provided further, that nothing herein contained shall prohibit any political subdivision from making and enforcing more stringent requirements than set forth herein and such requirements shall be complied with by all licensed electricians working within the jurisdiction of such political subdivisions.
Basically, Municipalities can adopt their own rules, but not be more permissive?

And it only has to be followed by Licensed Electricians?? Whoa! Is that a loophole or what? [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#153784 04/25/03 02:45 PM
T
Sorry Bill,
When you click on the link, there is a table of contents on the left side. Click the + sign next to Chapter 6 Electrical Code*. This will give you a drop down menu of 4 different articles. Each Article also has a drop down menu that can be accessed by clicking on the + sign next to it. Or, at the top of the page, there is a bar that contains next, or previous document that can be used to scroll through the different ordinances.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 04-25-2003).]

Donnie
#153785 04/25/03 02:53 PM
Ah, I didn't wait long enough for it to show up maybe. I see it now. I'll look at it a bit later, Thanks.

Bill

Bill
#153786 04/25/03 05:07 PM
E
Bill,

Ain't language a be-a-you-tea-full thang? [Linked Image]
This sounds to me like you automatically go to the latest NEC as soon as it's published. Is that what that means?
In practice, the state legislature enacts the newly published code approximately ¾ year after publication. The section I linked to is the tip of the iceberg.
This means that any Electrical related info in the Building Code is also acceptable?
Yup. The State gets to modify, add to, or delete.
Basically, Municipalities can adopt their own rules, but not be more permissive?
Yup.
And it only has to be followed by Licensed Electricians??
That gets expanded elsewhere.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
#153787 04/25/03 05:11 PM
Al,

It sounds like you could follow either the NEC or the Building Code?

Bill

Bill
#153788 04/25/03 05:57 PM
G
GTE Offline
Bill is it true that New York State did not adopt the 2002 code as of yet. I was told this from an inspector from the New York board. He said they just adopted the 99 code not that long ago.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard