ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#153770 11/25/03 12:09 AM
N
Nick Offline OP
I was told today that some elevator inspectors will not allow the shunt trip breaker (for shutting down elevator power) in the machine room. Is this an elevator code?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#153771 11/25/03 07:32 PM
R
Nick, we had an elevator inspector bring this same thing up a few years back, but it didn't go anywhere. We still put the shunt trip breaker in the machine room. If I remember correctly the misinterpretation came from the term "selective coordination" and the shunt trip being at the start of the elevator feeder, which would put it at the distribution point.

I will look for better info tomorrow if somebody doesn't come forward first.

Roger

#153772 11/27/03 12:43 PM
N
Nick Offline OP
Thanks Roger,
Any further info would be appreciated. It has not come up yet by the inspector but it was brought up by our fire alarm sub. He couldn't tell me what code it is or where so I thought I would do some research.

#153773 11/27/03 01:18 PM
R
You're welcome Nick. I had a pretty hectic day yesterday and didn't get to research it as I had planned.

Roger

#153774 12/06/03 11:39 AM
R
Nick, sorry I was so slow in coming back to this topic.

The unit below would indicate the shunt trip can be located in the machine room.

COOPER BUSSMANN
PACKAGE SOLUTIONS SIMPLIFY ELECTRICAL CODES AND STANDARDS FOR ELEVATOR SHUNT TRIP DISCONNECT
The BUSSMANN® POWER MODULE™ [Linked Image from profitpower.com] package solution takes the confusion and headache out of designing and building shunt trip disconnect capabilities into an elevator power system. Special requirements surround the elevator disconnect because it interfaces with fire alarm systems for shut down. In one easy-to-install pack-age from Bussmann, you get a solution for all required codes and standards: ANSI/ASME A17.1 calls for shunt trip operation of the elevator disconnecting means so power is turned off before water from the elevator shaft sprinkler system is applied. NEC® 620-62 limits the selection to devices that are proven to selectively coordinate between the over current protective device in the elevator disconnect and ALL upstream devices.

NFPA 72 requires the fire safety signal interface with a single point electrical and mechanical tie-in. [Linked Image from profitpower.com]

POWER MODULE Switch
30 – 400A,600Vac 3Ø
UL 98 Listed for 200,000A RMS short-circuit current rating
Shunt trip 120V

POWER MODULE Panel
400 – 800A bus MLO and/or main switch
UL 67 Listed for 200,000A RMS short-circuit current rating
Feeder switches 30 – 400A,600Vac accept Bussmann LPJ (amp) SP fuses

NEC® 110.9 requires high short-circuit current. The POWER MODULE meets all of these electrical codes and standards, plus reduces installation time and space requirements.

The POWER MODULE includes all the parts needed to interface with a fire alarm system in a UL Listed assembly:
Disconnect
Enclosure
Control transformer
Control circuit fuseblock
Control fuses
Fire alarm isolation relay
Terminal block
For more information on the BUSSMANN ® POWER MODULE™ package solution, visit Cooper Bussmann online at www.bussmann.com.

Roger

Link Copied to Clipboard