ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176304 03/28/08 11:54 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
The job the other day was a service upgrade. Old Square D stuff - 60A Square D main with cartridge fuses, and the little sliding door that was interlocked with the switch handle; meter located directly above "Main", in basement of home. Two 4-circuit plug fuse "sub panels". Mostly BX wire; some 2 wire "fabric" covered Romex. No camera with me....

While cleaning up, I grabbed one of the 4 circuit box covers, and discovered.........

I learned the trade working with my Dad as a teen-ager in the late 50's. This job was in my home town, and, looking at circuit #4, was the identifier "Freezer" - in my Dad's handwriting! Chills, and a tear!

I wonder what he would think of our tools and equipment today? Somewhere I still have his BX saw.....

Grov

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Admin #176712 04/09/08 09:48 PM
H
Grov,

My grandfather was an electrician that worked for the railroad here in NJ back in the '20s. Once back when I started working in the trades, back in 1975-1979 I worked with my first boss and we were renovating an old railroad station that was privately owned and turned into a restaurant. I got to the electrical service and I always wondered if my grandpa worked here or not. He died when I was only 5 years old and I didn't know much about him. All I ever learned about him came from my dad. He told me the stories about how grandpa road the old handcars on the RR tracks from station to station checking and changing those new fangled light bulbs in that new fangled signal system that the RR's used to keep track of the trains from town to town.

E
What scares me it that I've been to locations where I did work and realize that I had been there 25 years before. Trees have grown, house colors have changed, etc. but it's spooky to realize that I was there a quarter-century ago.

The service company that I worked for in the 1980's had a strict policy that we place advertising stickers on the panel as part of each service call. I always marked mine with my initials and the date. Now I know that I am getting old. I saw my own handwriting that was 22 years old on a panel last month.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

Link Copied to Clipboard