ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#152424 03/22/05 02:35 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I kept this from a remodel job I was on. It was still in use when we got there.

- Joe W
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
I guess I could give a little more info...

The house is located in SE Iowa and was "supposedly" an old gangster's house. I don't know if that's true or not. The owners must have been wealthy because it had servant's quarters and seperate entries and stairways for the staff.

There was also an old paging system from the kitchen to some of the other rooms in the house. The master bedroom suite had some kind of switch for the telephone system to cut all the lines except the one in that room. There is also 7 bathrooms, one of which is in the basement.

The house was upgraded to a 400 amp service. We restored some of the old fixtures and converted some of the combo electric/gas fixtures also.

I hate remodels [Linked Image]

P
Hi Joe, and welcome to ECN.

That's interesting to see another area which once used 25Hz power. We were discussing different frequency systems a short while ago in
this thread .

N
I'll get some better pics when the weather straightens out and I kick this nasty cold. In case you can't tell, the enclosure is made of wood. On the inside, it looks as if it has asbestos backing. I haven't messed with it too much yet. I'll have to clean off the workbench a little and snap some interior shots.

This thing still had knob and tube wiring that was still in use inside of it. It also had phone wires and coax spliced inside. I just thought that it was too interesting to send to the dump.

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
some inside pics ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard