ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] Thanks again to Joe Goble! (mountainman)

Well,
mountainman has done it again!.
Boy that's interesting, I could read old stuff like this for hours and hours. [Linked Image]

T
I second that!

P. S. I find it interesting to note that certain procedures have not changed; for example, the illustration depicting an attic space.

Additionally, I find it interesting to note that cable along a baseboard was permitted!

E
I wonder what that stuff was like to work with when it was new. It is brutal to work with now. Sometimes come accross it when doing service changes and trying to strip it back to tie into the panel is miserable.

P
Cable shall not be used across the top of joists in unfinished attics or roof spaces nor in similar locations.
75 years on, and this is still a basic principle that many people (at least here in the U.K.) don't seem to understand.

Unfortunately, cables just draped loosely through the roof space seem to be the norm in my area. [Linked Image]

S
Thinkgood:

My Home Depot "Wiring Made easy 1-2-3" book does show you how to run cable behind the skirting boards!!!

Is this legal? No?

Good thing I've never done it. Baseboard sockets are too low for my taste. Afraid they might get hit with a wet mop...or a vacuum cleaner.

We have some at work...in the hallways in our vintage 1950s office tower (even though the floors have been gutted and re-done numerous times).

The edge of the wall plate is right there on the level with the floor. The newest floor in our company was gutted to the structural walls and totally rebuilt in 1999.

P
Outlets mounted on the baseboard almost at floor level used to be very common in England.

It was probably the easiest way to wire an old house with solid brick walls. Just screw a surface mount box to the board and take the cable straight down through the end of the floorboard. Unfortunately, some were mounted so low that with the standard right-angle plugs used here the cords would really take a beating where they were continually jammed in against the floor.

S
Unfortunately, some were mounted so low that with the standard right-angle plugs used here the cords would really take a beating where they were continually jammed in against the floor.

Couldn't the receptacle have been installed "upside down" in such a case? Would seem the logical thing to do.

Link Copied to Clipboard