ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#164348 06/01/07 02:09 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
How many of you folks work in and around live panels?.
I've heard of a lot of people that have had accidents when using tools (Drills and the like) inside a live panel.
Now, here is an idea for you guys to think about.
Us Lineys HAVE to use cover up gear whenever we are working live, it's like hanging laundry out on a line, but disregarding the fact that we all wear Gloves, Outers and arm sleeves, you guys should be using a blanket, to shield all of your live parts when working around live bits.
Grainger sells them, and please don't misconstrue this as an ad for them.
You can have a safe zone inside a panel by placing one of these Neoprene blankets inside where you are working.
This isn't a Line Mechanic being smart to you EC's, this makes bloody good sense, ever dropped a tool into a set of busbars?.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Originally Posted by Trumpy
... ever dropped a tool into a set of busbars?.

"It wouldn't be my first choice." --James T. Kirk, Captain, USS Enterprise NC-1701 laugh

Haven't dropped a tool into a set of bus bars, but did blow up my best screwdriver trying to seat a stubborn Zinsco breaker. smile

And I have seen, both in print and in person, the after effects of a dropped tool in the wrong place.

So Mike's got the best suggestion with the use of proper coverups.

Not that I reccomend this as the best solution, but in a pinch even carefully placed cardboard would be better than nothing. Just remember to remove it when the work is done!! If left behind it can become a fire hazard!!

I
Live work is almost always an OSHA violation for electricians in the USA.

Linemen work under different rules.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Trumpy Offline OP
Bob,
I don't see what you mean.
Are you saying that because the voltage is lower, cover-up is not necessary?.
Rules or no rules, I'd like to go home every night, no matter what voltage I was working on, with things like good eyesight and un-damaged skin.
Sure covers are a pain to constantly have to move them, but at the end of the day, I reckon they provide the best protection, no matter what voltage is being worked on.
They will never contain any arc-blast, but prevent one from happening in the first place, provided they are fitted correctly.

R
Mike,
What Bob is saying, that in general, electricians in the US cannot work on or near energized equipment even with PPE and equipment covers. These rules are not the same for linemen as they are permitted to work on energized equipment with PPE and covers.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
Mike, all I meant was exactly what Don described.

Many electricians in the US wrongly assume that if they are wearing PPE that they are allowed to do any live work they want.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard