ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How prepared is your facility for electrical hazards?

1. Everyone follows our electrical safety program to the letter.

2. Most people follow our electrical safety program.

3. People often ignore the requirements of our electrical safety program.

Go to: www.ecmweb.com/ and Cast your Vote!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Follow the rules! Stay Alive!!

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

Courtesy: Scott Luckado
scott@eri-safety.com

S
gee Joe, are you looking for the 'shock effect pix' thread award here?

i'm sure i can choke up some doosies myself if it's a competition

~S~

sparky:

These were images I captured from the video that I show during my seminars.

I also ask the students if they want to see the real thing, and they either stay after the class, or come behind me to see the pictures I have collected.

I am sure, that as an EMS yourself, that you could show the "real images" and if you want to send some to me, that would be appreciated.

I guess we have to be a bit careful here on ECN before posting any really bad ones, like those that can be found on the Internet in areas were the webmaster devotes the space to images of people who were unlucky and where some were electrocuted!

I would be happy to email a few periodically to anyone who wants to collect the images showing burn and the way in which they are treated, etc..

I attended the meeting in Orlando a few months ago, and you should have seen the video that was shown were an electrician was seriously hurt!

I have plans on showing a few of the accidents during my seminars in Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, and Indianapolis during the next few months.

S
well Joe,
to be honest, if the fear factor is a detriment to just one incident, then more power to you.

personally, i find it somewhat two dimensional, but hey, if we're talking similar workers, then i guess such tactics fit eh?

i would mention there are events before and after to most incidents.

one i have noted afterwards is the OSHA crew all over the place, especially if a fine looks likely.... rarely before as a preventitive measure...

but hey, what taxpayer would begrudge them staying in the black and off thier backs...

oh and the dude pictured? probably quite aware of his impending departure, as are the providers that would treat him, an added bonus for the live fast die young crowd's consideration

perhaps you could add sound ??

yrs, ~S~

sparky:

Let's hear more about the OSHA crews, and the before and after the incident issues.

That would be useful for us to read.

Personally, I have never seen a real live accident, except those that they show on TV after the accident.

I do know what an open neutral feels like and what it can do to you when replacing a ballast in a fluorescent fixture supplied by one that is multi-wire.

PS: I am pretty sure the NEC will add a rule to require a disconnect for all circuit conductors in a fixture of this type.

S
That would be useful for us to read.

fair enough Joe...

i don't wish for such incidents, yet there have been 4 work related deaths here in our area in the recent past

should one occur (God forbid, but they do) i will try my best to report on those involved in said event, patient confidentiality considered.

of course, there are others here with a greater call volume that i'm sure could chime in also...

~S~

B
It’s almost hard to believe that RH Lee’s original “…Other Electrical Hazard…” paper is 20+ years old now. Applying formal arc-flash considerations to the real world is past due.

Er, it’s www.ieee-pcic.org/archive/The%20oth...%20%20Electric%20Arc%20Flash%20Burns.pdf

J
The before and after osha senerio. I have worked industrial maint for 10 + yrs. You see more problems in your smaller plants i think the larger companies seem to be more on the ball.

Most osha random inspections look for the little stupid obvious problems grinder wheels that are worn, cords that are bad, stairs and platforms that are not to code.

While people in the shop are saying hay theres a problem over here and managment is draging there feet until the day that joe operator or maint man gets hurt then its a scramble to get it fixed right before osha comes in or someone else gets hurt.

F
Does any one have a copy of their electrical safety program or where I could get a guide to follow? I work in a large factory as an electrician and we just recently recieved electrical gloves. We work on voltages to 500V. I have a copy of NFPA 70E. We have a lot of problems with unauthorized people getting into our cabinets and resetting overloads, breakers. I would like to have some good solid info before I hit the safety people with questionsabout why they don't address this problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard