ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#149038 06/14/03 03:49 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
OK People,
If you were starting with a brand-new factory.
What sort of things would you be looking at for YOUR prime areas of providing a really safe workplace for ALL workers?.
Give us your ideas!. [Linked Image]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#149039 06/14/03 09:12 AM
NFPA 70E
Standard for Electrical Safety Requirements for Employee Workplaces
2000 Edition
Part II, Appendix C, Electrical Safety Program
This appendix is not a part of the requirements of this NFPA document but is included for informational purposes only.
See Section 2-3 of Part II.
C-1 Typical Electrical Safety Program Principles.
Electrical safety program principles can include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Inspect/evaluate the electrical equipment
(b) Maintain the electrical equipment’s insulation and enclosure integrity
(c) Plan every job and document first-time procedures
(d) Deenergize, if possible (see 2-1.1.3)
(e) Anticipate unexpected events
(f) Identify and minimize the hazard
(g) Protect the employee from shock, burn, and blast, and other hazards that are due to the working environment
(h) Use the right tools for the job
(i) Assess people’s abilities
(j) Audit these principles
C-2 Typical Electrical Safety Program Controls.
Electrical safety program controls can include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Every electrical conductor or circuit part is considered energized until proven otherwise.
(b) No bare-hand contact is to be made with exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts above 50 volts to ground, unless the “bare-hand method” is properly used.
(c) Deenergizing an electrical conductor or circuit part and making it safe to work on is in itself a potentially hazardous task.
(d) Employer develops programs, including training, and employees apply them.
(e) Use procedures as “tools” to identify the hazards and develop plans to eliminate/control the hazards.
(f) Train employees to qualify them for working in an environment influenced by the presence of electrical energy.
(g) Identify/categorize tasks to be performed on or near exposed energized electrical conductors and circuit parts.
(h) Use a logical approach to determine potential hazard of task.
(i) Identify and use precautions appropriate to the working environment.
C-3 Typical Electrical Safety Program Procedures.
Electrical safety program procedures can include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Purpose of task
(b) Qualifications and number of employees to be involved
(c)Hazardous nature and extent of task
(d) Limits of approach
(e) Safe work practices to be utilized
(f) Personal protective equipment involved
(g) Insulating materials and tools involved
(h) Special precautionary techniques
(i) Electrical diagrams
(j) Equipment details
(k) Sketches/pictures of unique features
(l) Reference data

Courtesy: NFPA 70E NFPA 70E
Standard for Electrical Safety Requirements for Employee Workplaces
2000 Edition www.nfpa.org

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#149040 06/14/03 02:33 PM
B
In the US, {29CFR} "OSHA" 1910.331, .332, .333, .334 and .335 contain basic electrical safe work practices, with portions that apply to all employees exposed to electrical hazards, from desk clocks to 765kV hotsticks.

Like most other business services, there are consultants that will develop a semi-site-specific “safety program” for a fee.

#149041 06/14/03 11:31 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Joe T,Bjarney,
Thanks heaps!.
A brand new plant is not something I have had a lot to do with in the past, but I was asked to help by the resident Safety Officer.
I want to help set up a really decent Safety Programme, first off. (as it should be, for a new Workplace)
All of the equipment is new, no bad wiring, overheating panels, that you see in elderly installations. [Linked Image]

#149042 06/25/03 12:32 PM
S
Trumpy,

You have asked a VERY big question. Can you give us more specifics about the brand-new factory. Of course this site is geared towards electrical, however there is much more to safety than that. I recently gave a safety presentation to the president of a company that we started in Korea. I gave him 2 full notebooks of information for him to take back and look over. You can e-mail me at skschneider@adelphia.net if you would like.
Scott

#149043 06/28/03 12:00 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Scott,
Let's be more specific, here.
  • Factory makes plastic products.(this not the same factory as the one in another of my posts)
  • Factory covers an area of 300m x 100m.
  • 1500 people are employed here, from the Factory supervisor down to the labourers on the moulding line, there is a need for a real plan on how to make sure that no-one gets hurt, in the slightest, during thier days work.
  • People at this plant have a good safety ethic already, they just want a system that they can ALL work by.

May I note that plastics manufacturing is an inherentally dangerous industry, with lots of molten plastic and moving machinery on a production line.

Link Copied to Clipboard