ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176162 03/23/08 12:08 AM
N
Hello from South Dakota!!!!

Went to Gilette, WY for two long 12hr classes in MSHA training on Thursday and Friday. What a masive amount of material we had to cover.

The 30cfr has so many rules in it I think I will be reading for years before I have a good grip on all that it says. It does make me happy that the mines have all these laws to follow. I know my employer has no choise but to help keep me safe. As always, YOU are the one that is responsible for YOURSELF, but it's nice to know that others are watching out too.

I will be working in an underground mine with some one I already trust. He has been an underground electrician for years and it makes me feel a bit safer knowing that he will be with me while I learn the ropes.

Have any of you dealt with MSHA instead of OSHA? Have you ever read the 30cfr?

Jon Niemeyer
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
N
Well one month on the job now and it is more than I had expected. I have to work on everything from 12kva all the way down to communications 12vdc.

I have been issued more ppe than I even knew excisted. My locker is full of ppe that I can't carry with me all the time.

I am a little antsy at times because things don't move as fast as I would like them to. There is only one cage to cary men and materials from level to level and sometimes you have to wait quite a while for some one to come get you. If you forget something topside, you just cost yourself an hour!

I am happy to inform the group that the safety protocol is fantastic! There are only three electricians on site, and upper management has alowed us to determine what standards are to be used. All of us are long time electricians so we have set some high standards, in order to keep one anouther safe.

Again I ask all of you for your input for things to whatch for and standards to look at. Have any of you been an underground electrician? For those of you that are linemen, have you ever used cable assemblies instead of single line on a pole? Most all of our 12kva and 5kva lines are all cable assemblies, and are more dificult to strip than I had thought it would be.

Enough for tonight.

Everone home safe every night!!!

Jon

Jon Niemeyer

Link Copied to Clipboard