ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Trumpy Offline OP
I am a supervisor of a few Apprentices,
How can I be totally responsible for their safety conduct, while they are on a job, I go and have a good look at the job, tell them how the job is to be done, even give them a hand with the Pole Ladder, if it is required,
What do you guys reckon?. [Linked Image]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
W
Hi Trumpy,

I really like the Ten Hour OSHA Safety Class.

It covers a lot of the basics and electrical dangers also.

There is some good safety stuff that you can download at the site and have your own safety training as a minimum.

As far as being responsible FOR them..... you can't. Just like with kids, the best you can do is lead by example, give them the tools they need to be safe and remind them each time to "be careful".

You also need the support of your employer. If he is not supplying you with the tools you need to do your job, then he needs to "get on the stick" as he is THE one responsible.

Dave

[This message has been edited by WebSparky (edited 03-22-2003).]

Dave
B
" 1910.331 1910.332 1910.333 1910.334 1910.335 " are useful US/OSHA search terms if you want to explore this some more.

S
Trumpy,
I am the saftey guy here at work. I have wanted to respond to this since you first posted it, but could not come up with anything that was not long winded. The main thing that I tell people is that if you get injured on the job, you get HURT. Sure the company has to jump through some hoops and we get a ding on our OSHA log, but you are still the one in pain, not me.

Last year we did good 239 days without an accident. 3 accidents all year. Then this year we have had 4 already. In the past 2 weeks we had 2 OSHA recodable accidents and 2 incidents. What happened? I haven't the slightest idea. We have not hired anybody new and it is the same people we had last year.

So if you find the Holy Grail for safety I would appreciate if I could borrow it for a few days.

Scott

Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
Thanks for the postings,guys, but we have one slight problem, if I was working under US law, it would not be a problem, but I live in New Zealand, sorry for not telling you guys that when I first posted the topic.
But, I have had some really good advice, though.
Here's a question and a half, are all apprentices the same, the land over?.
I've trained some shockers, how about you?.
BTW Scotts, that is an impressive accident record, I wonder how many Electrical companies could boast figures like that?.
Also, what do your duties as a Safety Officer, at your workplace entail?
Ah,yes the Holy Grail of Safety, we haven't found it yet either, but one thing I do know
(for all of you smokers out there),sit down roll up a smoke and size up the situation first, provided you are not working in a Hazardous Area, this will pay big dividends, in the long run. [Linked Image]
[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-29-2003).]

S
Trumpy,

Sorry I have not replied sooner, let's just say that computers can sometime be frustrating.

I am the safety guy for an industrial plant. We electropolish stainless steel tube and make the fittings also. We use some nasty stuff and also have different types of equipment as well. FYI I have been doing this for 3 years, the previous 10 years I was the facility manager. Long story about the switch in careers.

My job entails, among other things, that we follow all OSHA regulations. We also have many work place policies that need to be written and implemented. I also do periodic walk throughs to check on things. I was real popular when I checked to see if everyone was wearing the required steel toed shoes. I have recently started to take digital pictures of things that I see wrong in the shop and share those pictures with the employees.

If I may be so bold as to make a recommendation. Learn all that you can and share your knowledge. It does no good if I know something and the employees don't. Try and give the guys all the correct equipment to work safely. Also show that you care, listen to their concerns and reply to their questions. (Off soap box)

Even though you are in New Zealand you can still use the OSHA rules. I am one who believes that the regulations are there for a reason. I hope they have learned from others mistakes. Some people agree and some people disagree with OSHA. A question, does New Zealand have some form of OSHA?

I am willing to help you all I can. Feel free to e-mail me or post here.

Oh yeah, you are right. Step back look at the situation and then do you work. Plan your work and work your plan.

Scott

S
Most accidents i've been party to in construction are due to individuals in a rush.
The notion that one needs to light a fire under a job, rile all the workers to warp 9, and maintain respect for safety protocalls is ludicrous.
Should one screw up, safety protocalls are utilized as a hedge against corporate liability, and may be used to flog the injured worker who will then be shunned as inept and sent to training should S/He survive to recant profusley.

After all, corporate hired lawyers can eat anything you've got for lunch, so get to work and have a nice day

That is what i've told subordinates in the past, really quite effective....

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 05-03-2003).]

Trumpy Offline OP
Could anyone please give me a link to the OSHA website?. [Linked Image]

S

Trumpy Offline OP
Sparky,
Thanks mate!. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard