ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 151 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Is there a formula to calculate the arc blast for single phase circuits? All of the ones that I have found are for 3 phase? I'm sure that some large single phase installations would require special PPE in the event of a fault, but you need a calculation to determine the type of PPE required.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
C
done mean seem like a smart a** here , but looks like you would use all of the proper ppe wether you expect an arc bast are not.not that one may happen .just considering safety first.

R
The type of PPE required changes greatly based on the size of the arc blast that could be created at the equipment. With very high energy levels you may need this blast suit . With lower levels, you may only need a face shield, 100% cotton outerwear, and gloves. There are other levels of protection between these two. The calculation lets you choose the PPE that is required.

Don(resqcapt19)
S
it is a worthy point, if only to portray the ease of compliance, residentially speaking.

part 2 of my 02' 70E, page 68, has a sample calc, can i simply leave the 1.732 out??

T
There is some mention of the amount of force in this thread:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000295.html

Maybe that will help?

R
Joe Tedesco provided me some information. Thanks Joe. Here is a link to a arc flash heat calculator . You have to register to download the arc flash calculator.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
B
It may also be found at www.arcwear.com. It is “Duke Power's Heat Flux Calculator;” a crude non-graphical application, but illustrates the point.

The listed URL is maintained by Hugh Hoagland, who has been extensively involved in related standards authoring/consulting and PPE testing for awhile now. He may be able to confirm the factors for single-phase situations.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-05-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard