ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
WARNING: BITTER, FRUSTRATED RANT AHEAD

AO here again. Well, I'm working at a restraunt for some of the summer here between semesters at Penn State Behrend. Well, I could tell yesterday was going to be a horiffically long day when I came in that morning. The kitchen is notoriously small, and towards the corner is a metal triple-sink for washing and other stuff. Well, two are full of soaking pots and pans, lots of water. Right underneath it was the one fan in the kitchen (there is no ventilation other then a door) and it's plugged in and running, with a three-prong ground but no ground faulting. I went to my boss, politely asking if I could move the fan. He told me not to. I politely explained that the fan, with had semi-exposed witing (the windings in the motor) could deliver a real electrocution hazard. Then he reluctantly let me OK moving the fan. Later in the day I told him that, not being paid any more then my minimum wage pay plug expenses, I could ground-fault and test the sockets at the restraunt, either by replacing the sockets or installing circuit breakers with ground-fault interrupters built in. He declined. In fact, he thought that they already were. However, I covertly checked the circuit breakers and found that there were no built-in GFCIs.

Anyways, the point is that it boggles my mind how at restraunts people ignore or are ingorant to electrical safety! I worked at anoter restraunt where there was no ground-faulting either. One of the cooks I talked to said he had a friend electrocuted at another restraunt- somehow a metal cooler was "leaking" voltage, and he got fried. I cannot believe how people are willing to risk the lives of workers for less then a hundred or so dollars worth of equipment.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
AO,
unfortunatly, 210.8(B)(3) is not retroactive, unless your AHJ presses the point with given incident(s)

....tip the fan into the sink......

S
Contact OSHA anonymously?

They may force him to rectify the situation and/or fine him....

You alerted him of the problem. You offered to fix it. He chose to ignore you (greedy tightwad bastard).

If I were in your shoes, I would have called OSHA first. If you do it now and the guy gets hit with a bunch of summonses, he'll know who "ratted him out" and fire you.

The way a lot of restaurateurs treat their employees is indicative that all they want is to milk the business for all its worth without investing in proper safety protocols for their employees.

Link Copied to Clipboard