ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Did anyone ever see the old 'All in the Family' episode when Archie puts a penny in the fuse box and it starts a fire?
His Insurance company refused to pay because he did something wrong. Has anyone ever heard of this actually happening to a Homeowner? or anyone else?

Bill

Bill
S
Insurance companies probably started the original Darwinian Awards list,i'll wager that they simply figure all the "Meatheads" in
[Linked Image]

If, say they didn't always pay off, how do you think it would affect things and the Electrical Trade in general?

Bill

Bill
S
I would imagine the electrical trade to be more scrutinized, or maybe some basic homeowner awareness programs. The problem of introducing anything of a preventive measure is in it's payback. That's how the insurance industry thinks. The percentage of meatheads would need to be a financial burden, a loosing proposition for this to happen. Maybe the number of homeless Archie's and Edith's denied their claims would have to overrun shelters ( picture Gloria wailing away here) and become somewhat notable in the public eye.
Confronted with this, maybe more insurance inspections would take place ( and the obvious rate increase to do so).
The trade is already seeing inspections from various sources, not all of which may be as savey as a bona-fide NEC inspector , but at least they can recognize a meathead fuse
[Linked Image]

PS,
the last meathead fuses i saw were 2 pieces of copper pipe that had replaced 60A cartdige fuses... [Linked Image]

I would think that Premiums should fall because we're already paying for all the "Meatheads'" mistakes. (By the way, I think that Meathead knew better than to do what Archie did) I would think that there would be less DIY Electrical work or hiring of uncredentialed contractors, but past that there's probably some other repercussions I'm not thinking of, Right?

Bill

Bill
It would be nice if underwriters would offer incentives in lower premiums to those who have chosen to rewire their homes, rather than penalize after the fact. Preventive is the key here...

I'm assuming here that the homes in question need electrical attention, say anything 20 years or older being subject to inspection, and offering incentives to repair anything amiss.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
That is a nice thought, incentives for simple thinks like a smoke detector.

[Linked Image]

When you think about it, don't Auto Insurance Companies give discounts for Alarms? and for courses of instruction, safe driver discounts? What do you think?

Bill

Bill
S
Sure it'd be a good idea,i wonder if the corporate powers that be in the insurance world have ever considered our trade as an asset.

......the detector sounds off, Edith jumps up from her chair, and Archie calls her a dingbat as she comes out of the kitchen with a burnt roast........

maybe they should watch some reruns...

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard