ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216149 10/18/15 08:22 PM

M
Just advancing through the streets on Google Maps in different directions from the ones you have posted, it appears that is a standard configuration for metering their traffic signal controllers.

I thought at first it might just be legacy downtown installs but I saw some the same way when I randomly looked at signalized intersections in the suburban areas.

If that was here in Winnipeg, the snow plows would take the meter out a few times a year when cleaning the snowplow windrows out of the intersections.

Last edited by mbhydro; 10/18/15 09:13 PM.
That town is just bizarre to say the least...

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

This one looks like a fish bowl from the sprinklers likely

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

M
Our city has been flat rate for years for traffic signals no meter (or what looks like a disconnect) in sight of a traffic control box.

The intersections here are metered, but they use a Midwest pedestal/disconnect most of the time, typically placed in a greenbelt somewhere near the traffic controller.

W
In the Binghamton NY area, the lights have meters at a more reasonable height.

Attached Images
yhgg8h.jpg
G
What's the point of metering equipment with a constant and predictable consumption? The costs of the equipment, its maintenance, reading and billing must be significant.
As far as I know, in UK street furniture is paid by local authorities just based on a register of installations, though some places monitor switching times of photo-cell controlled lamps.

M
Could be a local utility requirement that all services be metered. They may never be read but the spirit of the local requirements are met.

talking about constant and predictable usage I have noticed meters on the billboard signs in my city. I wonder if the local utility or the sign company ever takes a reading off it or do they just estimate/flat rate the sign account.

Last edited by mbhydro; 10/19/15 11:28 PM.
G
My guess is they are on an annual plan (AKA budget plan) and they just read the meter once a year to adjust the rate.

These are all on borrowed time tho. I am not sure FPL has any analog meters left around here. All I see is the smart meter that calls home constantly. I can get an amazing amount of information about my usage online.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard