ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
This is the official explanation of why Florida is on 2008

The state of Florida is currently under the provisions of the 2008 National Electrical Code as referenced in the 2010 Florida Building Code.

The 2013 FBC, which is based on the 2012 IBC, references the 2011 NEC. The expected effective date of the 2013 FBC / 2011 NEC is March of 2014.

The earliest possible date the 2014 NEC can be adopted will be under the 2016 FBC which is being slated for adoption in March of 2016.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

I am sure John will jump in here too. Right now we are under the 2011 NEC and the 2014 will be out shortly. By the time our state reads the 2014 and adopts it might take a year or more. SO we too are always trying to play "catch up" with the newest code. If the code only change say every 5 years, I think that it would be a good thing. There was one code cycle where we were on the 1996 (I think) for more than 5-7 years and there was no problems that I heard of for being so late.

It's almost time for the CEUs on the upcoming 2014 NEC Changes here in NJ. Not that the State will adopt the '14 with amendments quickly.

Active now is the '11 with amendments, the '08 for Rehab (last I heard) and CEUs on the '14 Changes.

A five year cycle would be good, but it would reduce book sales, and CEU classes, affecting some pocketbooks

Last edited by HotLine1; 08/08/13 10:14 PM.

John
H
John,

I just got my first letter today asking me to sign up for my 10 hour CEU class. Even though the 2014 hasn't even come out yet. smile

Yes, the letters will be flooding the mailboxes!

Like I hinted, a longer cycle will hurt their pockets.

I get at least 2-3 emails from NFPA that the '14 should be available 12/15/13 and "Order Early" & save xx%. Sounds like one of those 'TV Only' deals.

John
H
The code making system does seem to make a lot of money for many people. Code books, new manufacturing products, classes, etc. Granted we all just want to make people safer with electricity, but sometimes it seems like they change a section of the code over and over again. Like bonding of pools. Also we can't change human nature and we can't fix stupid. I still think a 5 year code cycle would be better than 3 year.

S
Don't forget we living in a super fast pace world now and the code has been around since a slower pace in time

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
The world may run at a faster pace but governments still plod along. It is pure bureaucracy and the fact that IBC and NFPA are on different cycles that keep Florida at least 3 years behind the NEC code cycle.
Even if the AHJ adopts the code right away, proposals close before you actually have a lot of experience with that version and it means the political arm is adopting a code into law before they actually have a chance to read and understand it. (as if they actually read laws before they pass them anyway)

Greg Fretwell
S
Tru dat on all accounts!

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
I note that there is absolutely no provision for anyone to propose any changes to the code cycle.

Let's face the truth: the NEC is in the hands of a handful of paid folks, who are bound to do their employers; bidding. Who else can attend the conventions? Who else can even introduce such a change? Unless you're part of NFPA management, your opinion just has no bearing. period.

NFPA members sure don't have any say. I spent years as a member, and watched the NFPA take all manner of organizational positions- without even once consulting with the membership. Heck, I never even heard from the "committee" I was supposedly part of, and my letters went unanswered.

Market forces? Why do you think the NFPA has worked so hard to isolate themselves from any market accountability?

The only thing that threatens them is political action. Hence, the intensive lobbying every cycle for everyone to immediately accept the newest version, complete and unamended. Hence, the endless efforts to get other NFPA codes accepted as law - and their rabid opposition to public ownership of "their" laws.

Heck, we could roll the code back to 1960 with little ill effect. After all, what has changed? GFCI's? Ufer's? What else?

I'll bet we can do just fine without the recent (2005?) addition of a requirement that there be a phone jack in a house. One wonders how we got along for a century of home phones without there being that legal requirement?

They'll stop writing new codes when we stop using them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard