ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200899 04/26/11 08:50 PM
G
I recently was asked about a combination duplex receptacle and dual USB port wiring device.
It's not UL Listed based on my research to date and it looks like a doohickey cobbled together to jam 120V and 5V in the same box.
Does anyone have any knowledge of these things?
It's being hawked by a company called fastmac, which handles stuff designed for Apple products.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/17/fastmac-u-socket-review/
Thanks

Ghost307
I have heard about them but haven't used one. It seems to be a good idea at least one in every room for cell phones.

Also they are not Tamper Resistant.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

J
Is the only reason for them to charge Iphones? I don't own anything that charges from a USB port. Is that a common thing?

T
twh Offline
From their site: "Safety Agency Approval(s)- TUV Rheinland"

Why didn't they just get UL approval, since it's made in the USA? Maybe that was the rigorous testing they claim.

G
There is no "legal" difference between U/L and TUV. They are both NRTLs. I assume they used TUV because this was developed in Europe.

USB charged devices are actually pretty common. I am looking at 2 right here on my desk. (an MP3 player and a wireless blue tooth keyboard)
A lot of mobile devices charge on a USB port.

Greg Fretwell
T
I assume they used TUV because this was developed in Europe.

... or because (I think) there's a Chinese branch of TUV Rheinland...

I definitely don't like that beast! If it were a single with two completely sealed USB ports in place of one of the two faceplate openings I'd say ok, but with a mostly open circuit board and exposed USB shield inside the box? Sounds like a 120/5V crossover from faulty isolation (think nicked wire or ancient crumbling rubber) waiting to happen.

N
Actually a pretty neat idea, although the physical execution could be improved along the lines mentioned above. Would also make it compatible with standard faceplates.

They should also rig some kind of mechanical switch that only powers up the 5V power supply circuitry when a USB plug is actually inserted into one of the DC ports. Otherwise, it is a bad a power waster as any other "wallwart" type adapter.

These would be nice in hotel rooms. Recharge phones, GPS, handheld games, etc.

So I take it that each one of these devices has a small transformer and rectifier behind the plate, to derive the 5V?

G
Probably a switching regulator.

Greg Fretwell
N
To meet USB 2.0 specs, each port should be able to provide 500 mA @ 5V. A small switching power supply is all that would be needed. Could easily be built inside a package the size of a GFCI receptacle.

Link Copied to Clipboard