ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#192774 03/02/10 11:34 PM
J
We've wired a couple of homes now where the homeowners are wanting to reduce their EMF's. Generally we're running 14/3 everwhere, paying particluar attention to the bedrooms. Any experience or knowledge on how effective this actually is? Also, she is wanting to install some kind of device in or near the panel? where it will further reduce EMF's. HAven't seen this device yet or any of the specs on it.

T
EMF typically means Electro-Motive-Force...

But your client probably means Electro-Magnetic-Fields...

In which case, their alarmest demands would require some sort of shield and drain in the manner of FA cable or co-ax.

MI would do the trick. I hope they're billion-airs...

Alternately, you could construct their bedroom, etc. as a Faraday cage. Talk to the GC and the architect.

Last edited by Tesla; 03/03/10 12:41 AM.

Tesla
You could have them wear AFDBs

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

rolleyes

J
HAHAHA... AFDB's.... ahhh that's good.

So... using 14/3 loomex as opposed to 14/2 loomex might not be reducing any further electro magnetic fields?

G
Tell them you twisted the Romex while you were running it to reduce the EMF. Those people who carefully unroll it so it lays flat are endangering your life. wink

Greg Fretwell
T
twh Offline
It's a good idea to get MindGuard on your computer now so that its ready for when you really need it.

http://www.zapatopi.net/mindguard/

This is a link from electure's link, but he didn't point it out because he uses mac or windows and it's already too late...

Seriously, though, if that's possible, having all the conductors of a circuit in the same cable pretty much eliminates rfi interference. (That's what we're talking about, right?) To do more, bx is better. Try using a volt tick on bx. I've also noticed that dirty, wet loomex doesn't trigger a volt tick either. Maybe you can do something with that.

twh #192786 03/03/10 12:05 PM
J
How does using 14/3 reduce the EMF?

S
Without being an expert with EMF, these are my thoughts and thoughts only. The metal casing of MC cables is about as good as EMT, which is I don't think either are to effective with EMF. If the conductors in the MC are rotating that will improve it over the EMT. The only conduit system shown to help with EMF is IMC or RSC, the only ones providing a thick enough sheild for 60 Hz.

With that said, EMF dissipates in a square of the distance, so another fix could be using recycled tires for walls stacking them horizontally and running the wire up through the center then bonding steel belts. This solution not only makes the home EMF friendly, it can be LEED certified for the reuse of materials and can qualify as the city dump.

On the other hand, in proper wired buildings, I have found almost no evidence of EMF in the wiring with the exception of panelboards and meters (due to separation of the conductors). So a solution for an EMF friendly home would be to intellegently place the load center(s) and meterbase in areas of infrequent traffic, then simply telling the owner to be careful of the devices used and installed (open motors, electric heating units, etc.). Overall, I don't worry about it other than to use EMF to track down problems in wiring.

G
Quote: Tell them you twisted the Romex while you were running it to reduce the EMF. Those people who carefully unroll it so it lays flat are endangering your life.

Greg, I actually had an Audio Engineer on a theater job that I did tell me to make sure that the 3-phase conductors were twisted around one another when they were pulled into the conduits "because twisting the wires reduces the noise".

To quote Bugs Bunny..."What a maroon".

Ghost307
How about this product? Made to replace Romex, it's not UL listed for use in walls.
http://www.lessemf.com/wiring.html
At $1.75 a foot. rolleyes

It comes from this place:
http://www.lessemf.com/emf-shie.html

They list among their products shielded boxer shorts at $109.99, and a faraday cage that fits over a king-size bed for $999.00

They've also got a "High-Frequency ElectroMagnetic
Pollution Remover" that plugs into duplex receptacle, at 20 for $659.00! bash

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard