ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#193252 03/24/10 12:56 AM
S
I picked up some work at a 2600 acre mountain developement here in western North Carolina. It's basically lots of small stuff that their maintenance can't or doesn't want to do(repair fixtures, troublshoot photoeyes and timers, etc.) They are having a problem with some landscape lights continually blowing bulbs. They are the Malibu brand with the 180watt/timer combo. There are 8 11 watt lamps on the circuit.

G
Are the bulbs really bad or just developing a bad contact with the socket. These Malibu things are pretty much junk if it is the same stuff they sell at Home Depot.
What is the actual voltage?

Greg Fretwell
Longshot could be....incorrect bulbs. The wedge base bulbs could be the incorrect voltage.

John
F
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Are the bulbs really bad or just developing a bad contact with the socket. These Malibu things are pretty much junk if it is the same stuff they sell at Home Depot.
What is the actual voltage?

Have to agree here, I have these at my house. If it is not a bad connection with the bulb contacts, it can also be the wire clamp connection, which is usually buried under ground. The wire clamp is also plastic and a pain to crimp tightly.

forqnc #193266 03/24/10 10:33 AM
J
How close are the bulbs to the timer. I beleieve they need to be a certain distance away or the voltage is too high. The output voltage is actually higher to compensate for voltage drop.

"They" (Intermatic) also recommend that the transformer be loaded to at least 50% of its rating, or an overvoltage condition will result.

You might try a 121 watt xfrmr.
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-ML121RT-Malibu-Voltage-121-Watt/dp/B0002YTPL4

Intermatic also manufactures an 88 watt transformer if you think it's more suited to your needs
http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-ML88T-88-Watt-Ground-Shield/dp/B0000DG57B/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

W
Also, look at the bad bulbs. If they are black, then the bulb envelop cracked, mostly due to water, and let air in.If so check for water intrusion I agree most of these are made real cheap. Robert

S
The bulbs are black. Some of the ones that still work have turned black. I agree that they are cheap. I am getting 12 v at the socket. I will talk to them about upgrading the fixtures.

Link Copied to Clipboard