ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#177567 05/07/08 06:17 PM
W
wiking Offline OP
Everyone on the job has caught "copper fever". The GC demos the low voltage ( sometimes some they weren't supposed to) before the low voltage contractor, who is contracted by the tenant, even hits the job.
What amazes me is that although unstripped THHN brings around a dollar a pound, these guys are getting 90 cents a pound for phone and data wire.
I don't understand it because I would think most of the weight is in the insulation, isn't it something like #22 wire size? Although most of it is 8 conductor, how can it compare in price with regular electrical wire?
One guy was telling me that it is a higher grade of wire, but I'm not buying it, yet. Anyone have any comments?

wiking #177572 05/07/08 08:07 PM
T
twh Offline
It depends on how much the guy stripping the wire gets:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/01/high-tech-trash/carroll-text

twh #177581 05/07/08 11:10 PM
E
It's generally four pair, 24 gauge by today's standards, but older telephone wire can be anywhere from 2 pair to 100+ pair. 22 gauge is pretty uncommon. It's the same quality of copper. I agree that it's mostly plastic, and I've never seen anything close to 90 cents a pound for it. I'm not buying that either.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
I've known this sort of thing has been going on for quite some time, but the pictures of fields and warehouses full of e-waste are amazing! While I understand the drive for "better" & faster technology, I don't understand why so much useable equipment is thrown away. Things like monitors, keyboards, printers, etc. will work just as well with your new computer as they did with your old one. I suppose it's because computers are priced, so that these things are all bundled together. I personally have used the same computer for almost 8 years now, and make a hobby out of refurbishing and reselling old computers (specifically, Macs).

Link Copied to Clipboard