ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Bill39 Offline OP
I've got a project where we're going to use split-bolts (Kearny's) to make some joints up and I don't want to tape them up (area is indoor & dry). Who makes those insulated plastic "clamshell" covers for that purpose? Or what is another trade name for them? I couldn't find it on Tradeslang.com

It's been awhile since I've needed these and I can't
remember the manufactuer or what they were called.

Thanks

L

Why not use the ones made by Polaris? They have the insulation on them already and have openings to insert the conductors and and an opening to insert the allen wrench for tightening. They can be ordered for just about any size and any number of conductors. We use them a good bit and they are better then taping and removable covers.
go to www.polarisconnectors.com

B
Bill39 Offline OP
I'd prefer to use something like those but I believe split bolts are about the only thing that will work in this case.

The main conductor runs straight thru the wireway and cannot be cut. So I need to just strip off the insulation and slip the split-bolt over it and connect my tap conductor.

Those Polaris connectors do look nice though.

G
Kupletap?

Greg Fretwell
J
I very rarely use split bolts anymore, but here is how I insulated them. First wrap with varnish cambrick, glue side up. Then turn and wrap with glue side down. The reason is then if you have to cut off the insulation, it will come off in one peice. Next scotch elect. tape, then the fabric tape. Use plenty of each.
Sure am glad they have made life easier for us now. The split bolt still has its place, but very few places. Yours could be one. I am not familiar with "Kupletap".

G
That is a brand name for one of these

http://www.idealindustries.com/products/wire_termination/lugs/lugs_tap_b-tap_connectors.jsp

Google comes up empty so either I am spelling it wrong or this is the new name

Greg Fretwell
A
This maybe what your looking for. Aluminum parallel or tee gutter tap connectors and also the insulating covers. Duel rated for cu or al, sizes from #14 to #500. With many configurations of 1 thru 4 taps and taps being parallel or 90 of the taped conductor. This one if from penn-union copp. The tapped conductor fits inside with a cover set screw seperate that slides on top (like you see on some meters).

A few examples:
http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumber=GPT-500
http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumber=TC-500
http://www.dale-electric.com/search.php?itemnumber=gt-250
http://www.dale-electric.com/search.php?itemnumber=gt3-250

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
This style of connectors has been around for years. I have a site up here and that it riddled with these type of conncectors. They have teeth that bite into the wire. I do not like how they make contact the wire. They appear to have minimal surface contact and damaging to the strands. there has been a few connectors ther have failed over the years. Not a good thing.

I typically use a good ol' fashion split bolt. I put a layer of cheap tape sticky side up. Then I wrap the split bolt with mastic pad the rap the pad tightly with a good quality tape. If the split bolt needs to be removed, all you have to do is run the utility knife down the side of the split bolt and the covering peals back like a bananna skin and just as easy. I have never had a failure with this type of setup.

I have also used the Polaris for the first time just a few months ago. They are little spendy but make for a quick splice so the added cost may be warranted. The only problem with them is the are very limited on the wire size so on a service rig, you have to carry more of them then split bolts in order to cover a same range of wire sizes. Tapping different size conductors are difficult too with Polaris connectors unlike with a split bolt and you do not have to cut the cable.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard