ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Check this out http://www.sundance-communications.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000224;p=0 look at the bottom post by richardmorris today

R
Well, his member rating seems to be equal to his intellect. [Linked Image]

Roger

G
I think there was always some misunderstanding between "data folks" and electricians. That is starting to go away as we are changing sides. Electricians are being forced to start understanding signal transmission concepts as systems get more computerized and guys who thought data was a rewarding career are starting to look into the power side as something that is more interesting and in the end, probably more rewarding. I know that is what happened to me.
I imagine the next generation of wirecrafters will be well versed in both trades with the "data only" guy at the disadvantage.
I know any data snob who thinks he is smarter than Mr Sparky has never seen the insides of the distribution and UPS equipment that runs his data center.

BTW the poster on that group did add a VBG to his post, it was a joke.

Greg Fretwell
H
I'm an admin over there and believe me, Richard Morris is on our s*** list. He never has anything constructive to contribute. Pay him no mind just like we do.

-Hal

H
I know any data snob who thinks he is smarter than Mr Sparky...

Or smarter than anybody for that matter. If you hang around over there you quickly see that we have no love for IT people or computer geeks.

Oh, and yeah, I knock sparkies too every once and a while but I'm entitled because I am one. We don't try to take jobs away like the ITs and computer geeks.

-Hal

E
Same here; I'm with Hal on this one. I do have the same credentials, so I feel entitled for the occasional bash as well. Most of any bashing has to do with improper installations or sloppy workmanship, just as if a plumber installs wiring. There's no love lost for Richard. He's such a PIA over there. We just avoid him as much as we can.

Today, he came in talking about his three favorite TV shows (one being Battlestar Galactica) and then asking about how nitrous works in street racing. At a support forum for telecommunications problems? What can you do except to paint on a smile?

Don't be insulted. He doesn't have much to say that's really taken seriously. It's more chat during boredom.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
As a data tech, I'll stick to low voltage (data) and leave the hard (line voltage) work to the sparks. There is a good reason I don't post all that much on this site, I'm just a data guy that dabbles in electric theory and design. I KNOW I don't know all that much.

A
All the "we are better than them stuff aside" the thread is interesting for multiple reasons: They are having the same discussions as we have had here re orientation of equipment and similar issues accross trades. We knock them, yet I know there are those of us out there who think that we can easily do our own data/tel wiring and have it perfect, just as they do with electrical stuff. Thanks for pointing it out.
Ann

P
Hal
I am also from Westchester...good to meet you.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
S
I thank God that those LV, data line guys are out there because when it comes to cat5 installations I am clueless. I know blue/ blue-white is red/ green and orange/ orange-white is yellow/black, and that's it.

Need a computer hooked up? Better get someone else.

Punchdown/ terminating kit? Don't own one, never used one.

I feel the same way about cable television stuff but at least it's been on the scene for 20 years and I was properly trained to do make connections.

When did we abandon plain old 22/4 telephone wire?

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 12-18-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard