ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12824 08/18/02 07:19 AM
J
jes Offline OP
OK, here's a trivia question.
Why do male attachment plug prongs (some, not all) have round holes through them near the ends??? I DON'T know the answer!!

W
Lockout, tagout?

N
Helps hold the plug into the receptacle. There is a corresponding "dimple" in the contact spring, which "locks" into the hole in the plug blade.

And here I thought they were to clean the contacts...?

Makes sense though...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
P
Don't forget that the holes also make it easy to wrap bare wires for Mexican-style extension cords.... [Linked Image]

J
jes Offline OP
Interesting comments but:
The holes have been there a LONG time... long before lockout/tagout came on the scene, however I have seen some loto devices that use the holes.
The contact idea is interesting but I've never seen a receptacle with contact strips having dimples...
A cleaning function is interesting...could be!
Still searching!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I was told back in school that a long time ago receptacles had little spring loaded balls that would engage those holes.

T
My bet is that they are part of the manufacturing process, like maybe how they are hung onto when they mold the plug around them.
Trainwire

T
I've got a 1970ies Sony stereo with NEMA plug and an unswitched outlet. When I push in a plug I can feel that the prongs get locked when fully inserted.
BTW, I was close to using the mexican style cord. I replaced a light switch in a room without a window, so I needed some temporary lighting. The only thing I could find was an imported US table lamp with an adaptor which has been hooked up forever in our living room. When I tried to hook it up I nearly got a fit. The adaptor was as stone aged as the lamp and it wouldn't fit Schuko receptacles! Finally I pulled two (illegal) ungrounded extension cords through the appartment and hooked my lamp up. SO much about being able to stick to codes...

L
Don't forget that the holes also make it easy to wrap bare wires for Mexican-style extension cords....

I'm not an old timer on this site but I bet there are some pics of this in the violation photo forum. I've seen that practice done plenty of times, unfortunately. [Linked Image]

Luke

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard