ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#69893 09/22/06 10:17 PM
R
Rewired Offline OP
Just wondering if anyone has used Douglas 2- wire low voltage lighting controls, and if so what they thought of it??
We touched on it back in school and it seems the ideal candidate for the renovation I am working on... Any comments would be appreciated!

A.D

#69894 09/25/06 09:27 AM
M
I've had Douglas system in i few theatres I've worked in and unless you get into a HUGE system you won't have any problems. Even the huge systems you will only have a problem occasionally after the system goes out of warranty.
I've had a few GE systems and the relays were not very good. Douglas has great relays. Their relays will force on or force off, meaning if someone does something to a relay, when you command them ON they will all try to turn ON, not just flip state.
Their controllers are very flexible too. They can accept just about any signal from just about anyone. Talk with the engineers at Douglas... they'll make the system that does exactly what you need. You can also add AMX devices for AV control and Pathway Connectivity devices for theatre and DMX control.
The last system I worked on had about 500 20A 2P and 20A 1P relays controlled individually from a DMX controller and about 50 circuits, both 120V and 277V, for work lighting controlled from ~20 stations. All of these could be controlled from the AMX system or the DMX lighting control system. The pushbutton stations also update with their status. At a master station if any zone or zones is turned on locally, the local switch and master switch will indicate that a zone is on or off.
It's hard to loose with Douglas, in my humble opinion...

Talk directly to the Douglas engineers for your design.

[This message has been edited by Mike Wescoatt (edited 09-25-2006).]

Mike Wescoatt
#69895 09/25/06 06:00 PM
R
Rewired Offline OP
Hey Thanks mike!
Ya what I want to do is be able to control a few existing lighting circuits in this house as well as another four or so out front and another couple out back including pot lights in this "shed" as the owner puts it. at most I will have to get one of their "scanners" in the basement to turn everything on or off with a timer or photo eye but still be able to " over ride" and turn everything on or off from one master switch somewhere, AND still have flexibility should the homeowner want to add a switch somewhere to add an extra control point for one of those lighting circuits.
We did have a tiny taste of Douglas in trade school and I thought it was really cool and their products seemed pretty robust, and I think their stuff is the way to go and I will be talking to Douglas!
Thx again Mike for your input!
A.D

#69896 09/25/06 08:38 PM
M
Rewiured, may I also recomend an alternative should the Douglas not fit the bill. I have used a Lutron softswitch120 panel a few times. It has an onboard astronomic timeclock, and you can wire up to 32 wallstations to recall scenes or just toggle groups of loads off and on with it. I haven't had any problems, one is in a setup that sounds like yours, front lighting, a few interior loads, etc, it all switches off and on daily. YMMV, but I believe I got the 8 circuit unit (the "mini") for under $800, check out: http://www.lutron.com/products/pdf/367-860_lowres.pdf

#69897 09/27/06 05:38 PM
R
Rewired Offline OP
Thanks Mhulbert.. The foreman said something about a Lutron system but I have not checked into it.. I will ASAP and thank you for the link!
A.D

Link Copied to Clipboard