ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
gerry Offline OP
On one trip to Germany I came home with a good electric clock timer that can switch on and off appliances even with capacity of 2000 watts.

Okay, here is the trouble, while it worked fine in Germany which has current on 50 cycles a second, it could not work with any decent precision on my current at home which is 60 cycles.

I worked out a lot of compensation arrangements, like when I wanted the timer to switch off after one hour, I had to adjust the switch off point at 1.2 hours after.

I even pasted a circular bezel around the clock face with equally spaced digits from 0 hour (10:00) to 10:00 (0) hours.

From reading on electrical literature I learned that there is such a device as a cycle converter, by which a current of one kind of cycles/second in the input will have an output current of another cycles/second.

But it is an industrial piece of equipment that is for me prohibitive in price.

Guys here, any idea to the solution of my problem that will be simple and easy and will just require me to dive into my home collection of junks for parts?

gerry

E
e57 Offline
No advice for Gerry....

Sorry buddy, but if this is in anyway related to the lengths you are taking to endanger your family by fixing your rice cooker in the other thread - You will get no help here!

For this, or anything else....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
Gerry, 60 hz timers are relatively cheap and are readily available.

With that said, I am going to close this thread.

Roger

Link Copied to Clipboard