ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#65417 05/02/06 08:45 PM
R
rowd Offline OP
I'm installing a new single phase, 3-wire meter socket to meter a single 400 watt light on a apt. building.
I'm doing twenty of these, each with it's own meter.
I tapped one leg of the phase and the neutral to the line side of the new meter socket from the existing PoCo lines coming into the building. Then running the neutral and one load conductor to the breaker panel supplying the light.
PoCo comes out to install the meter and says the socket is wired wrong.
My question is:
Does the socket require both phases of power to operate the meter? I've looked in a couple of socket enclosures to see how they were wired previously and found one wired with the neutral jumpered to the line side of the phase that was not being used and another was wired with both phases to the line side but only one conductor running from the load to the breaker box supplying the light.
What am I doing wrong?

R
Try looking at this, but check with your utility company first http://www.exeloncorp.com/NR/rdonlyres/E92FE0E2-1E36-4782-A1E7-F378AF8B85FF/0/8_Me tering.pdf

Page 41

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 05-02-2006).]

C
rowd, check out hiialeah meter.com they have wiring diagrams for all types of meter sockets.if i'm not wrong you would put the hot on the left hand line stab run neutral through middle,then run a jumper to the right hand stab. sounds like the power compny doesn't like the idea of providing a form 1S meter that is designed for this application.this meter is usually rated 100cl 120 volt two wire.most meters that the power company uses for residental service are form 2S class 200 240 volt 3 wire. these reguire the 2 hot legs.why do they want to meter each 400 watt seperate? why not use a sub meter if it's to bill each customer, & use one main house meter.hialeah & several others can provide these for you, unless there not allowed in your area.

N

R
If you continue to have headaches over this meter problem after checking out the provided links, you might want to ask your doctor about Damitol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Roger

N
You need to connect the neutral to a screw terminal on the back of the meter, and disconnect a jumper link. Explained at:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/eofcorp-store/240V.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard