ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
I was looking into getting a decent, but affordable, wire dispenser. Wondering which you guys use.

My contractor currently got some Rack-A-Tiers. They work great, versatile, but have no wheels. Looking into getting some that are a bit more portable.

Any ideas?

D
Just purchased a Carlon Wire Dispenser. Works great for romex.

M
Greenlee folding wirecart. Handles about 24 500' rolls of #12. Is compact and above all..has wheels. I never did like the racketteers for that same reason. Work well however if setting up in one location. But, if you are going to spend some money, get something with wheels.

E
e57 Offline
What type of wire? Rolls of thhn or MC and romex?

"I was looking into getting a decent, but affordable, wire dispenser."
In the romex / MC catagory, I say this... Anything will work. The least expensive though is the old school method. Take a scrap 2X4 about 30"= long, a piece of 5/8"+ plywood cut into an octagon about 18" in diamiter, 12" of plumbers strap, and a 16d nail bent into a hook, some scrap wire, and several staples and 2" and 1" screws. Screw octagon of plywood to the end of the 2x4 with 2" screws. Insert bent nail into a hole in the middle of the plumbers strap, and bend it over the other end of the 2x4. Then attatch with 1" screws, so the the nail will spin freely. Staple a loop of scrap wire to the cieling joist with several staples. Put a roll of romex or MC over the 2x, and hang the contraption from the scrap wire on the cieling. Pull end of wire to dispense. When job is finished, launch into dumster on site, build a new one on next job. No transport... [Linked Image]

For THHN... I have a small orange metal cube type rack I bought several years ago, I don't know who made them but it works well, holds ten rolls of #12.

I put that and the rest of my tools and materials on one of these... It lives in my van, and it goes to every job. Once you have one, you'll never go back to carrying wire racks around.
[Linked Image from theonlinecatalog.com]

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-09-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
Indeed, more leaning toward wire rolls (THHN) and the like.

M
I've always liked the Greenlee 911 for installs. Holds a bunch of wire. I also had a smaller one, can't remember the name brand, but was a red hand truck with tabs that held 5-6 small racks. These racks held 3 rolls each and could be lifted off and carried by their handle and set on the ground at the job. This was great when all you had to do was pull in a single phase set, plus you could use the cart to move things w/o buying a seperate hand truck.

Mike Wescoatt
S
I like some of these guys products..
http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/pro_rack.htm#rack

For stationary... Rack-a-tires.

If you need to move around.. e-z roll wire rack.

Link Copied to Clipboard