ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
What do you guys think of these, pros and cons welcome...
http://www.globalpowerproducts.com/generlink.htm

Dnk.......

R
I think it might be hard to get the utility company to buy off on it. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Chris

D
Sounds to be easier for power theft.

R
What about the bonding issues pertaining to the generators neutral?
How does this switch work?

T
I'm confused....

Just what problem is solved by this device?

Their blurb indicates that it can be installed by the utility in less than 30 minutes.

So?

It apparently has internal logical control which cuts line from load whenever it senses alternate power flowing in.

I don't see a market for his device.

Tesla
D
Does anyone see a UL listing for this?

Dnk...

S
I think this thing stinks because it cuts in to our labor hours. How long does it take to wire one of these, 30 minutes?

S
There is no way the POCO in our area would install this device. They are simply not set up for this type of Customer Service.

Rob

E
I see in the installation instructions that they use a split bolt (split nut) connection to tie into the neutral at the meter can. The pic clearly shows a copper only split bolt connected to aluminum wires.
This aside, anything before the first means of disconnect is service equipment. As such, this device must be rated for service use. Nowhere, that I could find is this device UL or CSA tested, listed and approved.
Also, as has been stated, this device is a clear means of eliminating the electrician from the installation. I know I am biased, but, elimination of the electrician is always a recipe for disaster. The service wires coming in have no O.C. protection. Homeowners should never be allowed to mess with them.

Earl
E
Did you folks know that, generally speaking, portable generators cannot legally be connected to the internal wiring of any building?

Most all portable generators have the neutral and ground wires bonded together. It is required to bond the frame of the generator to the equipment grounding conductor (250.4). It is also required to run a separate conductor for the neutral (250.30). The utility power source, at the service, has the neutral and equipment ground bonded together (250.26). There is no way to avoid having a parallel path on the conductors that carry the neutral and the equipment ground to the portable generator: they are bonded permanently at both ends (violation of 250.30(A)(1)).
Only a hard wired generator with the neutral NOT bonded to the frame is acceptable as a standby or emergency generator. Most all portable generators have this bonding done at the factory and they cannot be undone. Portable generators are to be used only for cord connected loads, plugged into the outlets provided at the generator.

Earl
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard