ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
rj Offline OP
Ok guys I am having a VERY BIG brain fart. I'm having a hard time remembering what happens to all the contections when using a toggle switch to reverse the rotation of the motor. Like the black wire is hot and the red wire at the motor is one direction and the yellow is another direction. I have not worked around this application that much and need some help on rembering. SORRY FOR ASKING BUT I AM HAVING A REALLY BAD DAY!!!!!!!
Thanks to all who can help

W
Dare I say that the answer will be different for different types of motor, and that the only way to correctly do this is to start with the motor connection diagram.

There are some easy ones, eg. a three phase motor is reversed by swapping any two leads, and some single phase motors are reversed by swapping connections on the start winding. Some motors cannot be reversed by a simple lead change.

The motor connection diagram is often found on the nameplate or in the terminal box.

-Jon

L
As winnie said it depends on the motor. Swapping red and yellow sounds like a 110v a double pole double throw switch may be what you need. Yellow on one pole and red on the other. Just a guess. Rod

G
http://www.hubbell-icd.com/icd/drum/files/Catalog%204258%20Drum%20Controllers.pdf

This has a lot of connection diagrams down on the last few pages and it has rescued me a few times working with less than direct replacement motors.

Greg Fretwell
C
Assuming a single phase resistance start:

It depends on the motor, but generally, you swap the aux(start) winding leads. The ones I am familiar with are marked T5 and T8. The ones with the coloured wires are Red and Black. That is my experience, your motor could be different.

There could be creative ways with a toggle switch, but all I have ever used is those rotary reversing levers.

Link Copied to Clipboard