ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#55667 09/02/05 11:38 PM
S
On this board we have one thing in common, our trade. But we also need to vent from time to time. If its politics, so be it! There are also other things that need to be discused besides Electricity. As for me, I don't want to go to another Board to do this.
If you do not like a thread don't read it, or don't respond to it negativly. You can express you opinion, but remember your among your peers.
The glory of this country is we are all the same in being different from each other, some slightly and others greatly. Thats life!

The people on this board are smart and I'd like to know what they think on any topic.

For whatever its worth.
Rob

#55668 09/02/05 11:57 PM
C
yes to that!

#55669 09/03/05 12:02 AM
Administrator
Rob,

With all due respect, this is an Electrical-related Forum. That's what it's here for.

Certain subjects can divide even the best of friends. I'm trying my best to prevent that from happening.

I know I don't have all the answers, but I believe avoiding some topics is the best way to go. I'd rather have you guys a little mad at me sometimes than at each other.

Bill

#55670 09/03/05 12:25 AM
Administrator
We do have a chat area here for Members to use too. Discussion there is usually much more free-form and separate areas can be made on the fly for specific topics if needed.

#55671 09/03/05 02:05 AM
Bill:

For the record, I agree with the way you and the other mods keep this forum under control. Even I have slipped and posted inappropriate comments, which were handled in a polite and civil manner.

There are always three major hot-button topics; politics, religion and sexuality. No matter how one would try to moderate such discussions, it is far too easy to allow them to degenerate into major flame wars.

If you'd like an example, take a look at the forums on powerlineman.com {Mods: feel free to edit this direct reference if you deem it necessary.) I'm not knocking the site or it's moderators, but thier discussions frequently get quite out of hand, with personal insults flying.

Even designating a separate area for politics can still result in a lot of misunderstandings and bad blood.

So my vote would be for no politics, thank you.

Let's keep this site great!

Stupid should be painful.
#55672 09/03/05 03:44 AM
I
I don't go to my Town Hall to buy electrical supplies and I don't go to an electrical forum to talk politics.

I am fully behind Bill and his policy's here at his forum. [Linked Image]

The people on this board are smart and I'd like to know what they think on any topic.

Well no doubt there are many very intelligent members here. You can email most of them if you want to talk about other subjects. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#55673 09/03/05 10:00 AM
W
Politics, like excrement, just happens. Even here. But as much as possible, I'd dearly love to keep the politics limited to that which is directly relevant to the electrical field, eg. AFCI requirements or minimum service sizes, adoption of electrical codes. These discussions will cause enough pain; we don't need to borrow more.

-Jon

#55674 09/03/05 11:11 AM
E
If you guys would all just agree with me there would be no reason to argue. [Linked Image]

#55675 09/03/05 12:42 PM
T
I really appreciate this site, Bill. Any way you want to run it is fine with me.

Dave

#55676 09/03/05 01:11 PM
R
How about we start with Union vs. Open Shop?

[Linked Image]

All kidding aside...

Although I haven't been participating much lately due to a heavy workload / family load,
I have been around consistently for nearly 5 years. The reason that I spend the little time I do have exclusively on this site, is because of the way the administrators have managed it.
It has remained consistent through a series of moderators who all seem to adhere to similar guidelines, and it works well, in my opinion.

If it ain't broke... ...

John

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-03-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard