ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 251 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
is it ok to snake wires in along side plumbing pipes? one of the pipes is for hot water..not for baseboard heat, but for shower. do i need to derate for higher ambient temp?

It may only be me, but I wouldn't put a cable anywhere near a water pipe, Hot or Cold.

C
good to know. i will probably cut a channel in the plaster then. thanks

H
Clydesdale. There is nothing wrong with running your conduit beside a water pipe. In fact on many commerical and industrial jobs you share pipe racks with the plumbers to conserve room. As far as a hot water pipe affecting the ambient temp of your conductors also not a problem. If this was a steam pipe i would still share the rack I would just add more space between them.

C
highkvoltage, the wires will not be in conduit. they will be romex and would follow the pipes from the basement to the second floor because there is a space there next to the pipes(and will probably be touching them along the way quite a bit as i have no way of keeping the wires away from the pipes since the plaster is finished). the reason i wanted to do it this way is because i wanted to avoid cutting a channel from the first floor all the way up in to the attic so i can get new home runs up there for the second floor. the wiring is currently knob and tube and needs replacing. still think it's ok? is there another type of wire that can/should be used here?(UF?)

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 02-23-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 02-23-2005).]

H
Ok, so what you have is a pipe chase from the basement to the second floor and you want to fish some NM up through it.

I've done it but I don't like it. Don't like the idea of pvc jacketed cable in contact with a hot water pipe. UF wouldn't be any different would it.

If you can't insure that they will not contact the hot water pipe I would be more comfortable with AC or MC and it's metallic armor. I really don't think it's worth cutting up the plaster for this though.

-Hal

E
I don't see a problem with this. I have done this countless times and it is standard procedure around here as there are many two/three story houses. I don't see a hot water pipe causing any dammage. For what it's worth in renovations I have removed wiring that has been installed like this for many years with no signs of problems.

D
I don't see a problem with this either. The insulation is 90 degree? That's 190+ F (hot water is less), the term "leaky old house" probably applies, and a hole from the basement to the attic will have "chimney effect" air-flow.

Dave

H
OK. Run the romex next to it. Either way not a code violation nor will it hurt the wire. Water pipes just don't get that hot.

E
Do yourself (or the next guy) a favor and leave a pull string. I ususally use some thhn. Oh wait. I don't think that it's listed to be used as a pull string. Doh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard