ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Dave55 Offline OP
I never quite know what to say when someone says their wiring has been like that 50 years and hasn't been any problem. If you don't know what I mean, look in any of the hundreds of pictures in the photo section.

Any ideas of how to respond?

Dave

Something to the effect of....
OK, then eliminate all the modern convenience items that you did NOT have 50 years ago, and it will survive.

Or....
"It's getting old & worn out, just like you"

or....
"Gee, you had a microwave, coffee maker, big TV, fridge, jacuzzi, etc, etc 50 years ago???"

John

John
B
One thing I try to make them understand is the importance of the electricity to STOP working when necessary. Altho sometimes it's hopeless I know. I can remember explaining to a lady all about the reputation for FPE breakers not tripping when they should then when I was all done she replied "Well we've never had any problems with ours, in fact I don't think we've ever had one trip".

C
Lol to bigb thats because FPE = a No Trip circuit NOT_breaker laugh

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
P
I can remember explaining to a lady all about the reputation for FPE breakers not tripping when they should then when I was all done she replied "Well we've never had any problems with ours, in fact I don't think we've ever had one trip".

That reminds me of a reply I once heard in response to a question about what size fuse would be fitted for a given appliance.

"If I was in doubt, I'd fit the largest fuse possible. It would be safer that way because there's less chance of it blowing." [Linked Image]

D
Explain that the Code is continually revised (on a 3 years cycle) by electrical experts working with the National Fire Protection Association, based on real-world experience with installations similar to what they have in their occupancy,

(OK - bonus if you can say the whole thing with a straight face [Linked Image]

LOL - Code Committees = reality - ROFL)

and any upgrade / rewires you're recommending are for their safety and the eventual sale-ability of their property.

You can also explain (or try) that there isn't a "length of service" guarantee/warantee by the manufacturer of any type of electrical product that extends to 20,30,40 years or so...

Of course, when in doubt, yoou can always revert to:

Just because it worked doesn't mean it's safe.

Link Copied to Clipboard