ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hi,
What is the best method to call out conduit routes and cable routes on a set of drawings so that the contractor knows where the conduit or cable begins and ends...

I have seen "1/C" & "3/C #12" & "C-101" & "1""..is there a standard?

I am looking for a way to improve our drawings.

thanks for any replies.

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-27-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-27-2004).]

Broom Pusher and
I guess the best way to indicate the "beginning" point of a Conduit run, would be to attach an Arrowhead leader to the Line, and indicate that point as the "Home Run" point.

Next to the Line, indicate the Circuit's data:
  • Panel Name,
  • Circuit Numbers,
  • Number of Conductors,
  • Size of conductors,
  • Raceway size

An example:

To: Panel H1
Circuits: 2,4,6
4 # 6, 1 # 10
1-½" C.
Apx. 85'-0"

The text could be contained in a "Baloon" , with a leader line connecting to the Circuit - which would help in cases where many Home Run points are shown together.

You could also database the Circuitry information, attach that database to a certain place of the planset, then use callouts (number and letter) which would correspond to the referenced database information.
That makes for a really clean planset!

Other callouts may be used to reference specific Circuitry notes, or to match lines on other plan pages.

For ends of runs, either end it at an outlet, or "Terminate" the run with a solid filled dot. Maybe include something like "EOR" or similar text to verify the dot is indicating end of run (not mistaken for some type of symbol / block).

I like your ideas here! Wish you the best of luck with this.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
E
e57 Offline
Simular, or maybe even the same as Scotts example, I use simple line diagrams.

And, there is a standardized methods outlined in several books.

One step further from the above example is that for easy referance of conduit vs cable is to put a small cicle on the line ane call out the size near it for conduit. (no circle for cable)

Also add hash marks on the line for conductor count, grouped in circuit bundles. And add designations above the line,and hashes. or skip the hashes all together.

Example:

(10)A,B,C,N - (12)S,T,A,N
(this would be one round-house, one switch wire, a set of travellers, and phase A, and a neutral) 9 wires, althought you may want to use a few less.

And/or the other information Scott mentioned below can be broken down into a code simular to what the phone companies use for cable administration.

for the same example above: Add Panel LP-1, and CB numbers, and Fixture 9.

LP-1(10)2,4,6,N-(12){F9}S,T,8,N

I have to do this for some of the installs I do network cabling for. Problem is that different companies I do work for have different codes, so I have to follow thiers, most are pretty simular though. http://web.anixter.com/anixter/anixter.nsf/StandardsGuides/WiringSystemAdministration

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
M
Hi,
Thanks for the replies...this is interesting. I am used to industrial drawings...are these references for commercial drawings or are they used across the board?

thanks for the interesting replies..

-regards

Mustang

E
e57 Offline
I use them for EVERYTHING! Commercial residential, controls. I make a clean copy of prints for the office, and my "Scratch set" is used to lay out my guys, and than can be sent back to the EE for As-built's, and he cleans them up in his format. Or, I copy them again, (if they are still intact)and leave it in the panel room.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
P
At Loes'd Santee, they used a simple code for the underground wiring for the parking lot lights. Each run would have a round circle with a number like 38 or 68 in it next to it. "38" would translate to TWO #8 plus #8 ground.
This is commercially sensitive information so don't tell anybody about it.
Each fixture is labled with its ckt. number. The size of conduit is somewhat optional.
Homeend of the runs shows the traditional stupid arrow with the relevant panel number.
~Peter

Link Copied to Clipboard