ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 184 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
To all who responded to the following post. I made a mistake. We are trying to pull 4 conductors of #4THHN/THWN in 1 inch PVC. Which is the maximum the code will allow.

All othere comments below still apply. I apologize for the incorrect post but it's been one of those days!!!!

Bob

=================================

Has anyone tried to install 4 conductors of # 6 THHN copper in 1 inch PVC. It's approximately a 70 ft run with 3 nineties and two offsets.

My customer had insisted on installing this portion to save money even though I told him to use 1 and 3/4 inch PVC.

I know the code allows up to 4 conductors in 1 inch PVC, and not more than 3 90's. However, I was forced to install two offsets due to knock outs not lining up.

I'm concerned I'll run into major problems when I pull this wire. I may even ask the customer to install 1.5 inch PVC to make it easier.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I
Bob, in that case I would say you got some issues.

The few times I have maxed out the wire fill in a raceway I have regretted it.

In my opinion this run needs 1.25" minimum.

If you are stuck with what you got the wires must be fed into the pipe perfectly, one wire crossing another and you will be all done.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
Bob,

I agree. I think I'll go with 1-3/4 PVC. I could reduce the neutral conductor but I can't see where it would make it any easier.

I learned a valuable lesson today. Thanks again!!!

R
Ace, what are the conductors feeding and what size overcurrent device are you proposing to use.

You will also have to count your EGC in this conduit fill which would bring a fifth conductor into the picture if we are talking a three phase four wire feeder.

Roger

R
Ace, there is no such animal as 1-3/4" conduit.

Roger

A
Roger,

We are feeding a 100 AMP subpanel Single Phase, with a 90 AMP overcurrent device in the main.

A
Bob,

How come Roger beat you to the punch? In regards to 1-3/4 inch PVC.

I guess I would have found this out at the supply house. As you can see I'm not used to working with PVC.

Thanks again, Roger

I
How come Roger beat you to the punch? In regards to 1-3/4 inch PVC.

I might be slipping or maybe I just figured that would be pointed out when you went to buy it. [Linked Image]

1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.25", 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3", 3.5", 4", 5" or 6"

Take your choice of the above. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-25-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Ace,
We are feeding a 100 AMP subpanel Single Phase, with a 90 AMP overcurrent device in the main.
assuming 75 deg terminations you will only need three #4's (not knowing the neutral load) and a #8 cu EGC, 250.122.

Roger

Link Copied to Clipboard