ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
royta Offline OP
I bid on, and received, a spa sub panel job. Yes, I know, small time. Unfortunately, the GE main panel is missing the branch circuit shield. You know, the shield that you break the tabs off of for the breakers. It exposes the breaker handles, but covers the wiring. I stated in the contract that no work will commence until a shield is available to install in the panel. It also states that the Contract Sum does not include the replacement shield.

I called a GE shop wholesale house with the shield part number, taken from the sticker under the cover, but was told the part is an obsolete part number. I was told to call 1-800-GE1STOP. They confirmed the part number was obsolete, but asked for the panel's part number. They are currently looking into whether or not a shield can be obtained.

My question is this: Is this in fact a UL Listed item? Do you think I would be fine to just have a sheet metal shop manufacture one for me? I'd rather avoid a panel upgrade if I could.

By the way, just in case any of you know where I can obtain obsolete parts, the branch shield part number is 343L628G46, and the Meter Socket Load Center is a Semi-Flush Type / TM1410MUF.

Thanks. -Roy

E
You might ask the AHJ if he would agree to a fabricated cover if one is not available. Also some the obsolete electrical equipment dealers might help. In NC where I am, Southland Electric Supply has helped me at times find obsolete parts etc.

John
R
royta Offline OP
I called Southland, and they too suggested a sheet metal shop. So did a couple of EC's I had previously worked for. Southland said that the panel itself is UL Listed, not the shield. So, I should be in the clear. Which is great, because the homeowner is a real estate agent. Hopefully he'll pass on, "He's not the cheapest out there, but sure does good work." I actually lost the job to an unlicensed person, advertising with some septic tank service company's license number. Thank goodness for the homeowner who actually verifies the contractor's credentials. Now I have the job.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 09-10-2004).]

S
Royta -

You could try:

Camco Breaker & Controls, Inc.
3979 Market Street
Ventura, CA. 93003
805-650-0684
866-422-1211 toll free

The have new, surplus and reconditioned gear.

Thanks
Steve
E
e57 Offline
Haven't had any Inspector object to a made part yet. (As long as the part was comparable to the original.) But wise to ask! The shop I usually get them made at does some work for these guys.
http://www.circuit99.com/

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-12-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
You should be fine with a good copy made by a sheetmetal shop. Even the strictest AHJ I know wouldn't make you replace the entire panel just to get a new cover.

That said, we're replacing a GE panel this week. I'll have my guys save the cover and see if the model matches what you need. If so, you can have it. I think the one we're replacing is a 150 amp main breaker 20/30 style.

R
royta Offline OP
Thanks Electric Eagle. Thanks for the offer, unfortunately this panel is a 20/24 circuit, with main breaker.

I'll look into the suggestions today.

Thanks everybody.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 09-13-2004).]

R
royta Offline OP
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Unfortunately, all of the companies I called, including 1-800-GE1STOP, turned up empty.

It looks like I will have to have the shield made, which brings me to an important question. What gauge sheet metal should I spec? The H.O. is anxious, but I won't start the job until the panel is safe to the untrained.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 09-13-2004).]

E
NEC 1996- 370-40(c)
THICKNESS OF METAL.
Metal Boxes over 100Cu In.
Metal boxes over 100 Cu in. in size shall be constructed so as to be of ample strenght and rigidity. If of sheet steel, the metal thickness shall not be less than .053 in. (1.35 mm) uncoated.

I could not find any info for a panel board construction, However, info is given for junstion box construction specs. I would think if you make it .053 to .0625 it should be O.K.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
E
e57 Offline
Depends on the cover, and really how you feel about it? 18 - 14. 18 = really flimsy, 16, may be a match for what was there. 14 will feel as though it were bullet proof, my personal preferance. I usually make a template out of card stock so I know if there needs to be additional knotches or bends and such, and bring it into the shop. Remember to have all the cb spaces cut out, if the shop you take it to doesn't have a slug punch for the breakers, that way you can use filler plates to fill the area, rather than cutting it up again to add a breaker.-------------------------------
For guage and dimension you want to match or exceed what was there!

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-13-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard