ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39791 07/01/04 05:36 PM
R
hi
thank you all for the help about testing circuits , yes Im familiarized with lock out/tag out and Its a good way to work safely.
Ok my question now is aobut panels divided by sections . I have a panel that is divided in 3 sections , like you know the code says that we can have 42 breakers per panels (100 amps main feeds 120 V receiptacles),my question is :If I have some of the circuits that belong to the first section piped to the the second section (they mis-laidout in the slab)and I need to bring these circuits to the first section panel can I use the 2" nipple that I have between the first and second section for my feeders to pull my circuits ? or I need another nipple just for branches besides this nipple to feed the second section? is there any article in the code about this?
Thank you

#39792 07/01/04 07:10 PM
I
You are free to run branch circuits in the same raceway as feeders.

Usually if you can not find it in the code, you can do it.

Using the panel as a raceway is also allowed.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#39793 07/01/04 09:15 PM
E
e57 Offline
"Using the panel as a raceway is also allowed." Very true, but a lot of people get wierd about it... Feed thrus, and wire nuts in a panel are contensious items. The longer you're in this Trade, the more opinions you'll come across. Some will make sense, some will not.

Anyway, as far as running with feeders, and through nipples it's very important to stay to the allowable derating. It could throw that plan out the window. See 310.15! But as long as you're covered there, it should be ok. Believe it or not, the best tool in your belt could be a calculator! You'll have more to think about than math....

Another word of advise.... Obtain a Handbook version of the code, it will clear up alot of vague items. It's got commentary on every third code, or so, in plain english.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#39794 07/02/04 11:54 AM
A
If the nipple is under 24" long than you have exception #3 in 310-15. If it is aloud in NEC it dose not allways mean it is best solution. Maybe use a seperate nipple. Or better yet can you figure another way into the right panel. I don't know how many wires your talking about. It might make the on panel a rats nest. That could lead to confusion and someone making a mistake. Out of phase networks, nuts in wrong panel, mismarked breakers, or pushing fishtape into wrong panel. You or the next guy.

Tom

#39795 07/02/04 12:22 PM
C
What your proposing, "running branch circuit wiring with feeders" is not allowed in the Canadian Code Book.

However, I agree with "Active 1" for the cost of a nipple, running the branch circuit wires through a seperate nipple would look more like a professional job!!!

#39796 07/02/04 12:41 PM
I
Active and CDN you bring up some good points that are design decisions, the opening post asked for the codes position.

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices allows the use of the panels as raceways and there is no NEC section prohibiting branches to be run with feeders.

It can be pretty tough to add a nipple between two panels once they are already mounted and piped which I would bet is the case here. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#39797 07/03/04 08:24 AM
E
When you have two panels in close proximity to one another, and you need to provide a conduit nipple between them, then cut your rigid galvanized nipple such that when couplings are installed on both ends, it is a snug fit (sometimes a single coupling can be used with no nipple). Install two chase nipples through the KOs and into the couplings to complete the job. Note: this does not provide for a good ground, I always include a bond between panels if there is no other bond already installed.

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard