ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38990 06/07/04 09:04 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
OK,
All you Industrial Techs and Electricians out there.
How many of you own a graphical DMM?.
By this I mean, like a DMM/ Oscilloscope, type instrument.
If you do, the next question would be, what brand is it?
Have you found it easy to learn how to use?.
The reason I ask all of this is because I am looking to invest in a new piece of gear that will help me with PLC work and I am not quite sure exactly what to buy.
Fluke and HP do a lot of advertising, but how good are the goods?.
I was just wanting to know from a bunch of guys that might have used this sort of gear before and could steer me towards a more worthwhile purchase?.
Any help you guys can give me would be great, it's a lot of money to pay for one of these instruments (which they are!), I just don't want to buy poorly and find out later. [Linked Image]

#38991 06/07/04 09:43 AM
N
I use a Fluke 97 "ScopeMeter" in the field. A good instrument all around, and it has helped solve more than a few tricky problems. Basic functions are pretty self-explanatory (if you are familiar with oscilloscopes beforehand), but some of the advanced functions are buried in menus that take some time to figure out.

Only real downside I have found is battery life, or the lack thereof. The rechargeable battery pack goes flat very quickly, particularly if you are using the LCD backlight (a must under all but ideal lighting). The AC adapter can power the unit, but at the expense of ground isolation, which may be needed if you are working on motor drives.

#38992 06/17/04 06:15 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
NJwirenut,
Thanks for your reply to my post.
Battery life isn't really a problem, I just want a darn good Instrument to work with.
Sounds like the '97 is a pretty good choice.
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard