ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38966 06/07/04 07:22 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Sorry,
I may have asked this question before.
What does a Journeyman's ticket in the US cover, with respect to Practical and Theoretical knowledge?.
I've heard things mentioned on the Board here, about Plan reading and layout, what does it all mean?.
Also, is there a big difference between a Journeyman and a Master Electrician?.
If so how?.
Slap me around the head, with a wet Salmon, but I don't understand these terms.
Thanks for any replies that this topic causes, I'd just like to know once and for all!. [Linked Image]

#38967 06/08/04 12:15 PM
Varies from place to place. I'm in Southern California, and things are changing a bit here.

Historically, there have been electricians, Journeyman Electricians (Inside Wiremen or Journeyman Wireman), and Electrical Contractors, all separate classifications. We do not have Master Electricians out here.

Contractors have to pass a comprehensive examination and document several years of trade experience. The exam has gotten tougher over the last few years, and the number of "Pass your contractor's test or pay nothing" businesses has dwindled substantially.

Without getting into the union / non-union issue, it used to be that the IBEW had the only state approved apprecticeship training program that turned out Journeyman Wiremen (just talking inside wiremen here, not outside work). Nowdays, there is another avenue for perspective apprentices to go other than the union. Typically the apprenticeship programs are 4 or 5 years to become a Journeyman Wireman (JW).

There is a new development here, the state has begun licensing electrical workers, and they do so by administering an examination. But becoming a licensed electrician is NOT the same as becomming an Electrical Contractor or even a JW. And there is still no Master Electrician.

Might seem sorta confusing, but heck, that's what we pay bureaucrats for, right?

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#38968 06/08/04 08:51 PM
Trumpy:
I can give you some info for New Jersey.

"Journeyman" basically is/was an IBEW title, for one who completed his apprenticeship, basically five years.

The State (NJ) has been issuing a "Journeyman Card" to electricians that can document "x" number of years.

A "Lic. Electrical Contractor" here is the person responsible for any and all work performed by his employees. The Lic EC has to have a Business Permit for the Contracting Business. Typical EC employees range from Apprentices/Helpers to Journeymen.

There are a plethora of rules for the Lic EC business, & if you have any interests, I will get a copy of the "Law Book" and mail it to you.

AHJ's (Inspectors) are State Lic. 5 years trade experience (minimum) and passing a test is good for ICS Lic. (Basis Resi, Light Comm) Additional trade experience/AHJ experience and passing another test gets you a HHS Lic. (Resi/Comm/Ind) Additional Experience and another test get you a "Sub-Code" Inspectors Lic (Equal to Chief Inspector/Administrator) Most towns require a MINIMUM HHS Lic, and a lot look only for "Sub-Code"

Hope this settles some of the quandries you have, albeit only for NJ.

John

"Plan Review" is a service performed by the agency/town issuing the Electrical Permit. The Reviewer has to hold a minimum HHS Electrical Inspector Lic.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard