ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38524 05/24/04 09:30 PM
...Have you guys/gals ever used these darn things,...I have, and about one in twenty actually work..They go into a "no-op" mode that renders the timer useless and ergo...garbage..My supply house routinely gets them back as faulty,non-chalantly hands you another one,and sends you on your merry way..I'm just wondering if anyone else has been plagued by this...and is there another type of "in-wall" digital timer out there...?? I've heard the name "Aube" mentioned,..it's a Canadian company,but never used them..HELP!!!
This is what the Intermatic SS7 looks like..>> [Linked Image from intermatic.com]
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 05-24-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
F
The Intermatic SS7 I purchased also didn't work... the display never powered up. I called Intermatic, told them the battery was in correctly and the battery was good. The tech said if the display didn't work then it was toasted. My supply house swapped it out and the new one has worked fine.

F
it the same kind i did have troble with it and i found out that when i push it in the switchbox. the little electric motor inside of it get pinched and some case it was werid to slove it by running it upside down dont ask me why but i really dont like this timer at all and i end up rewire for the switch for front lighting system and it was pain in the rear end imo the workmanship for this timer is not really too well as i expected.

merci, marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

I personally havent had any problems with these, although I've only installed maybe 5 at the most.... But it seems you are not alone..
http://www.complaints.com/may2002/complaintoftheday.may6.10.htm

-Randy

PS... Seek & ye shall find the alternate..
http://www.levitonproducts.com/Catalog/Model_6124H.htm?refsel=98
http://www.repesa.com/manufac/aube/wall.htm

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 05-25-2004).]

C
I have used several of these Intermatic timers and haven't had any problems. Since they have been available for quite a few years I would think that Intermatic would have fixed any know issues.

Curt

Curt Swartz
D
I've installed four of these in the past and two of them failed, so I no longer use them.

Dave

J
Aube timers are simply the best I use them exclusively they have 500W and 1000W I highly reccomend them.

S
I have installed several of the intermatic type timers. I have one installed in my house for the past 2 years. No probs to report. Its actually a handy device and very easy to use.

For the guys with the problems, I am assuming the device wasn't mishandled or dropped before installation? Also, be careful not to install this device in a cold area (garage, un-insulated basement, etc.) And finally, use a fresh alkaline battery.

A
I have replaced about 5 of them. A few supply houses say they have a lot of problems with them. I like them because they don't need a noodle to work. They program quick enough. I think the battery causes headachs when it quits. I seen one broken from the owner tring to change the battery. The supply house says the version that accounts for different sun rise & sets is more reliable. Maybe it's just more money. I know it is more difficult to program.

I think this timmer has too many options for the average user. They only want lights on at 8pm and off at 3am. Not on/off 5 times a day only certain days of the week.

I use the lutron digital timmer when I have a noodle. I like both timmers because they can handle a whole circuit.

I really wish there was a very basic digital switch size timmer that programs like an alarm clock. I hate trying to explain how to operate things.

Link Copied to Clipboard