ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Avoiding Telemarketers Contact the Government

Go to: www.donotcall.gov to register your numbers and you will be free of telemarketing spam for 5 years!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-19-2004).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
T
http://www.donotcall.gov

It's worked very well here--I registered as soon as I was able, and so far, I've noticed a marked decrease in telemarketing calls.

P
There's a similar service over here in Britain to register for not receiving junk mail and phone calls, although it still doesn't stop all of them.

A friend of mine used to have the outgoing message on his answering machine along the lines of: "If you are calling to try to sell me something, I either already have it or I don't want it. I'm not interested in double-glazing, I already have all the insurance I want, and I don't have a few minutes to answer some questions."

What's even more annoying now is that to save labor costs some of these marketing places have transferred their call center operations to India, so you can now get interrupted by a phone call from Bombay or Delhi during dinner!

Paul,
I hear you there, mate!. [Linked Image]
I frequently have calls from a fund-raising group looking to raise funds for the Christchurch Westpac Rescue Helicopter Trust, a Charity that I am directly involved with as a Standby Pilot and as a donor, after all, what more can you do?.
I remember Sir Bob Geldof saying that after a while, Donor-Fatigue sets in, there are just so many Charities out there, you could not possibly give to ALL of them!.
And that was in the 80's!!. [Linked Image]
But we get calls asking to participate in surveys and other time wasting things.
I hung up on a guy when he wouldn't let me attend a Fire Call.(see you later I said, I'm gone!)
And yes Paul, our Call-Centres are based in India here too.
Ring a PoCo in Wellington, during a Faults call and you get a person in New Delhi!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard